Chapter Four: Help! (Scorpius's POV)

I knew I shouldn't have gone to Rose's. I KNEW it. Rose and Lily were the best of friends!! How had I not seen what was to come? And now here I was, face to face with the Gryffindor princess, wishing I was dead. Her eyes, usually sparkling with mirth, glinted with anger as she saw me, after the shock had cleared, of course.

"Hullo," I said.

"Hello, Malfoy." The word sounded malevolent and evil, the way she said it. I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment and wondered why it was that I could never be angry with her.

Rose was following Lily, and to relieve the tension, I turned to her. "Hello, Rosie."

"Hello," she said, and smiled brightly.

I smiled back and hoped it didn't look too fake.

Lily was still eying me stonily, probably still wondering what in Merlin's name I was doing here. I felt myself flush even deeper.

"So," Rose said, "have you heard the exciting news?"

Lily groaned. "It's not exciting, Rosie, it's horrid."

"What is it?" I asked her. She didn't answer, and I felt rather certain that surprising her into saying anything to me was not a good idea. The silence stretched on.

Finally, my question was answered, not by Lily, but by Rose. "The Triwizard Tournament is happening this year, Scorp."

I grinned. "Really? That's fantastic! That's-" I spotted the mulish look on Lily's face and decided not to continue.

"So," Rose asked me, "how have your summer holidays been?"

"Fantastic. Really great. There was this one country I went to, I forget its name- it was African- but it was loads of fun. The wizards there are really interesting." I threw her a flirtatious glance, something that was stupid of me and that I shouldn't have done, but I was so nervous in front of Lily and so wanting her to be jealous of any girl I fancied that I tried to flirt with Rose.

To my surprise, she blushed, and I knew I'd gotten myself into something that I wouldn't be able to get out of fast. Because it looked like Rose might fancy me. I felt terrible for trying to give her false hopes.

Finally, Lily spoke in a clipped, cool voice that didn't suit her usual warmth. "I really should go," she said coldly. "The O.W.L. results are arriving today and I want to know what I've gotten.'

"I'll go with you,' I said quickly. "I want to see Al."

She didn't like it, but she had to let me come with her. She stalked past me and off along the short trail that led through the pretty woods to what used to be the Shrieking shack and was now a beautiful and fully renovated wizarding mansion. I'd never seen it, but Al had told me about it.

I watched Lily Potter walking away from me, and noted the way her long auburn curls swished against her back as she moved.

"I'm sorry, you know," Rose's voice came from behind me.

I turned. "Why?"

She smiled sadly. "I'm sorry she hates you. It's not a nice feeling, I know-" she said pausing a minute, "when you like someone who doesn't fancy you back."

I shrugged. "I don't really fancy her, Rosie. I've told you that scores of times."

Rose just looked sadder. "You do. I can see the way you look at her." Her face took on a bit of a wistful air. "It's like she's an angel, and you worship her..."

She turned and headed back into the house abruptly, leaving me standing in confusion, unable to determine which redheaded Weasley clan beauty puzzled me the most. Finally, I tuned and headed after Lily, who was at the edge of the woods and had turned to see if I was coming.

This year was destined to bring me much more confusion.

The girl at the top... either Lily or Rose. Tell me what you think!!!