Chapter 3: ...An Unwelcome Surprise (Lily's POV)

I got to Rose's just in time to see her fretting over a stack of papers just delivered by owl. She looked up when I walked in. "Oh, hello, Lily."

Hello."

I sat down on Rose's paisley-patterned duvet and looked over at the papers she was reading.

The Hogwarts seal was on one of them.

"Help!" I gasped.

Rose looked over at me. "What is it, Lilybug?"

"The O.W.L. results? They came?"

Her brow wrinkled in confusion, and then my cousin seemed to realize why I was so upset. "That's right," she said, slapping her forehead. "I'd forgotten you were skipping into sixth with me this year. You sat the O.W.L.s last year, correct?"

I nodded. "Oh, Rosie," I moaned, "This is terrible! I'm not at home! I won't see the results until I get back!"

Rose laughed, shaking her head at me and causing her curly red mane to sway back and forth. "Lily Luna Potter, you have an IQ thirteen points higher than Dumbledore's, and you're skipping two years of education simply because you're so brilliant. You were speaking Spanish fluently at the age of three. How can you possibly get anything below an 'O'? You never have in your life!"

I moaned.

She put an arm around me and ruffled my hair. "You're worrying too much."

I shrugged. "Well, what did you get? Your perfect 'O' on everything?"

Rose laughed. "No. But I almost did. I got an 'E' on Defense Against the Dark Arts. Like my mum."

I shrugged again. "Aunt Hermione would be proud of you if you got all 'T''s."

"Troll? Lily, you little wretch!"

I laughed along with her, happy again, but still upset about the Triwizard Tournament. which reminded me- I still hadn't told her about it.

Once I finished, Rose laughed a little. "Well, I must say that that's surprising news. But why is it so bad?"

"Don't you see?" I moaned. "I can't participate!"

She looked thoughtful. "No," she said finally, "I suppose you can't. Shame. Scorpius will probably enter, but I don't know if Albus will."

"He will," I said fiercely. "And it isn't Scorpius, it's Malfoy." 

Rose sighed. "He's one of my best mates, Lily. Just because you hate him with a burning passion doesn't mean that I have to. And you were really very cruel to him last year, when he asked you to the Yule Ball. Don't you remember?"

"Rose," I huffed, "you can't deny that he is a terrible player! He's always flirting with girls, hurting their feelings, and moving on within two days! Isn't that the only thing that's saved you from fancying him all these years? He's the most conceited, bigheaded boy Hogwarts has seen in a century! And he's so sarcastic! And then he just comes swaggering up like I'll throw myself at his feet! He asked me last-minute because he wasn't sure if he could endure the shame of going to the Yule Ball with a third year, and he made complete rubbish of the whole business, acting like I was being an ogre! And I happen to know that he asked you first! I was just a second choice!"

Rose shook her head at me again. "I can't persuade you. But I will tell you that you were so impolite that I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided you like the plague this year, and it'll be your own fault."

"Who wants him to pay me any attention? I loathe him."

"He's going to be in my compartment on the Hogwarts express, and you know you're going to have to start knocking about with the sixth years, because you're hardly ever going to see the fourth years this year. Please just be civil to him on the train?"

I sighed. Rose really knew how to get to me. She and I were the best of friends, and I was going to have to start hanging around with the sixth years, however little I might like it. "I'll be civil to him," I said finally, "but no more."

Rose grinned. "That's all I ask. Now come on, let's go and find your O.W.L. results."

At the mention of those odious things, I groaned again. However, I stood up and went ahead of Rose down the four flights of stairs, out the door- and straight into Scorpius Malfoy.