Chapter 8: delivery gal

"I'm not so sure about this" I murmured to Barbie. 

Barbie just looked at me and sighed.

"Look, do you want to be part of this clique or not?" She asked.

I looked down and nodded.

"Well then you better get your scrawny ass up and deliver my special packages" She ordered.

"Why can't they just come to the kitchen?" I suggested urgently.

"Because the JJC officers are becoming suspicious and most always constantly check up on us at the kitchens. Making sure we aren't up to some sketchy shit" she explained as she pinched the bridge of her nose in irritation.

I noticed she was somewhat impatient as she urgently tapped her foot on the floor, beckoning me to hurry up.

I decided I had no choice but to do this. I never expected to have a mission this risky. If I get caught, my sentence would double or even triple and I was taking a huge risk. I now knew this was part of the kitchen duties and most importantly, a test of my loyalty. 

 When Barbie told me that I had to deliver marijuana and cigarettes and other goods to her clients, I almost flipped.I know I was basically a stripper and a drug user, but I never ever in a million years would have thought that I would once become a drug dealer.

I am technically now a drug dealer. My life is more interesting than the mere month I have been here than my whole life before I came to this stupid detention centre. That says quite a lot about how boring my life was.

"So why do you now suddenly want to be a part of my clique" Barbie asked in a snooty tone as she taped tiny packs of drugs into my bra and other places around my body.

I thought it was too early to let her in on those details just in case she turned on me and brought my old clique in to her clique which would thus make them stronger. I didn't need to add fuel to the fire I started so I decided to not tell her just yet.

"Well you need to prove your loyalty on that one and once you do I will tell you" I replied with confidence.

She chuckled at me. I was surprised. It was like a genuine chuckle rather than a demeaning and sarcastic one.

"I see you're already learning from my ways." She mumbled.

"But that does not mean you could ever be better than me, got it" She spat, returning to her normal, evil and controlling self.

Someone's bi-polar.

"Okay you are set, here's the list of dorm rooms to deliver to. Good luck and if anything happens to you, rest in peace" She saluted before opening the kitchen doors and looking right and left before signalling that I am in the clear.

I nodded and left heading to my first dorm.

My delivery service was actually quite successful. I skilfully avoided many JJC officers and I was almost on time with all my deliveries.

Barbie had a business where she provided her customers with things from the outside world that they could not get aka drugs, makeup, exotic candy, porn, you name it for money. She had access to imported goods from delivery trucks and made deals with the delivery guys so she could sneak things in. She was quite smart, I have to give her that; being able to adapt to a place where you're not comfortable and have no idea how it works is quite a skill, as well as making use of the limited resources you have.

Once I finished I had returned to the kitchen to see Barbie pleased with my success.

"Thirty minutes early, that's a new record." She announced.

"Show me the money." She demanded as I handed her all the cash.

She smiled as she counted the roll of notes. 

"Welcome to the clique" she then added.

"Thank you, you are going to save my life!" I cried out before running up to her and giving her the biggest hug she has probably ever received. 

I had realised my mistake when I noticed the disgust on her face.

"Do not touch me ever again" She hissed.

I took a deep breath in and out before leaving the kitchens and heading to the bathrooms.

It was a few minutes before dinner and I quickly washed my face and hands. The bell then signalled dinner and I headed to the dining hall.

As I walked in I was stopped by a strong arm.

"I need to talk to you" Wolfe whispered in my ear.

"What, now?" I replied with a confused look.

"Yes, follow me" He ordered and then walked away towards the exit.

I quickly followed his tracks to a corridor that was thankfully deserted.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"One of my boys told me that they you're doing deliveries now, is that true?" He asked with a look of worry in his dark eyes.

"What's it to you? What I do is none of your business" I retorted.

He sighed and pinched his nose in annoyance.

"Look, you're still the new girl here. You don't know how dangerous this place is just ye---"

"Who are you to tell me that I don't know the dangers of this place? Of course I do, I have witnessed it first-hand. I've been constantly taunted and now I am probably going to be killed for being a whistleblower. Being starved, being fed some fucking loaf that isn't meant to be food and being publicly humiliated. My list goes on. I know the dangers trust me. I'm just trying to survive this stupid hell whole so don't give me a lecture because you don't know what I've been through. You have it so easy, you can get whatever you want!" I whisper yelled out as my emotions took over me. The stress of this place was catching up to me.

He looked taken aback.

"Look, Jaedyn please listen to me" he whispered, looking me into the eyes. His stare locked me into a trance I couldn't break.

"You don't want to risk more time here. What is the point? Why put yourself through that. And don't think I haven't witnessed the dangers of this place first hand, because you don't know what I've been through. Jae... you have a life outside of here that most of us don't." He insisted as he grabbed my chin with his fingers, making me look up to meet his eyes.

"Stop acting like we are friends Wolfe. Because once I am out of here, I will never see you again and I will never think of you again. I don't belong here and I am not like anyone else here. We are all from different worlds and we are stuck in the same place. And right now, I don't care about anything but my survival. Got it?" I sneered before walking off.

I heard him sigh from behind me as I walked off.

I probably was too harsh, but everything I said was true. I'm thankful he was trying to look out for me but why? Why did he care? He is nothing to me and I am nothing to him. I barely know anything about this guy. 

I then entered the dining hall and took a seat next to Barbie. I looked over and saw some of her minions working.

"Girls, this is our new prodigy. Everyone welcome Rich bitch" Barbie announced as she grabbed a plate from one of the minions and placed it on my side of the table.

 I gasped.

This was like the best day of my life. I had joined the strongest clique in this hell hole, meaning I was safe from being killed and I had just received a plate of sweet corn, lettuce, boiled potatoes and ketchup rather then that stupid, horrid, tasteless and rock-hard nutri-loaf I was receiving as punishment. My life was complete.