Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I wanted to be with my family and my friends again. I wanted my mom to hug me and scold me and tease me. I wanted my father to hold me and tell me everything was going to be okay and he'd make it better. I wanted Adam to be there to kiss me and smile to let me know everything was okay.

But when I opened my eyes, I only saw the darkness of my bedroom.

I sniffled and choked down the next wave of tears, but they exploded anyway and shrank further into my sheets, sobbing and whimpering as I clung desperately to my pillow.

I had no idea when or how I fell asleep, but the next thing I knew, there were people in my room and moving around, not caring if they woke me up. Two Zephyra members stood by the door, both armed and ready to kick me back into submission while four more were rushing around to get everything ready.

My heart clenched. He was still going to get married to me after what happened yesterday?

I wanted to spit at him and scream, but I was so tired. My eyes were swollen and my throat was raw. I didn't move from the bed, just tried to bury myself deeper into the blankets until I felt someone tugging at them.

"Excuse me, Julian? You need to get up now, honey." Came a woman's timid voice. I didn't recognize her voice and I didn't care. I couldn't muster up the motivation or strength to obey her command, so I remained under the blankets. I could hear her gulp audibly before she tugged a little more at the blankets.

"You need to wake up. Wulf isn't... patient right now." She added nervously.

Isn't patient? Wulf isn't patient?

He just had my entire family killed, my lover, and my friends. He could fucking wait the rest of eternity and I still wouldn't be ready. However, I would rather deal with this woman and her sympathy than Wulf and his harshness. So I forced myself to push the blankets back as I sat up slowly, reaching up to wipe at my face.

The woman was a bit on the plump side with brown hair pulled back into a ponytail, her green eyes watching me cautiously. She wasn't human, but a vampire, which meant she was part of Zephyra and that alone made me want to gut her, but instead, I just threw my legs over the side of the bed and stood up silently. My legs felt like Jell-O, like I would fall and hit the floor any minute, but somehow, I managed to stay standing, even as she led me to the bathroom. I was forced to sit down as she and two other people came in to clean up my face.

"Your eyes are swollen." The plump woman commented quietly as she brushed my hair. Normally, I would've given her some kind of sarcastic response, but my brain felt like it was dying, so I just gave her a blunt answer.

"My family is dead." I replied in monotone. She grimaced and looked at the guy, who was helping her with my hair. He said nothing, just mirrored her pained look before he looked down to continue spraying something that smelled like strawberries into my hair.

"Is this really all you have?"

I instantly remembered the first time Adam and I had sex when he picked up the bottle of strawberry lotion from my nightstand, the lotion Amber sent me as a birthday gift one year. I knew Adam didn't like the lotion, but he used it anyway so it wouldn't hurt so much whenever we had sex. Buying lube would make my mom suspicious and she'd probably rip us both to pieces, then tell my dad and my dad would ground me for years to come, then be forced to give me the awkward sex talk.

"Is that strawberry?" I asked quietly, watching as the guy started to set the spray down, then paused to look at the bottle before he nodded. I held my hand out for it and he gave it to me hesitantly. I looked at the label on the bottle and my heart did a 180 as I recognized the brand name. The same brand name as my lotion. I popped the top open and brought it to my nose, inhaling the scent deeply for a moment before I capped it and set it down, staring at it as they cleaned and styled my hair.