part 6.

who here likes pet names? give me a few comments about what pet name you think Avi would call Mitch? that'd be fun; like a contest. (no pressure)
-

There hadn't been a minute to breathe, they'd been so busy. It was writing sessions and arrangement sessions and then editing arrangements that actually didn't work like they thought. Throw in some promo and press and basic fan interaction, and Avi had the perfect excuse for putting this off.

Kirstie was the best person to go to. She already had most of it pieced together. She'd probably be able to help Avi find the rest of the pieces.
   ***

There was no time during work to talk to her, no doubt about it. Avi showed up at her apartment during the second day of their break.

Kirstie opened the door in pajamas, even though it was well into the afternoon, with her hair loosely tied up. She groaned.

"Not that I don't love you," she said. "But I've been around you so much that I still see you when I close my eyes. And now you're at my front door."

Avi laughed. "I'm sorry. But I thought you'd like to know that you're right."

She leaned against the doorway, blocking Olaf from running out into the hall. "What am I right about?"

"I do like Mitch."

She perked up. He almost laughed.

"Get in here," she said.
   **

Kirstie told Jeremy to take Olaf for a walk while they talked, as if Avi cared if Jeremy overheard. Not that they weren't friends, but Jeremy wasn't the type to spread secrets.

"So, maybe a week ago you were telling me you don't like him, and now you're here to tell me you do?"

"I'm not going to act like I understand it either."

"Does he know?"

Avi shook his head. Telling Mitch would be either step 2 or step 8 in the plan he was forming.

"Avi-" Kirstie sighed. "I don't think you would, but, you didn't trick him into pretending just to be in a relationship with him, did you?"

Did he? That wasn't the original plan. He just wanted to find out if his feelings were real, if he really was into guys as well as girls. Was he just telling himself that so he could justify asking Mitch? How does he, or anyone, know that he didn't fall for Mitch while doing this?

Because he didn't. He knows he didn't. Avi's been in love with Mitch for years. But he's not trying to force him into a relationship.

"I wanted to see what being with him would be like," Avi said, watching Kirstie's face. "Before I really put myself out there to possibly ruin everything."

Kirstie nodded. "Do you plan on telling him?"

"I want to."

"You know he would never mock you. He plays up the role but he isn't like that."

"I know."
   ***

He never told Mitch that day. Or the week after. It's been two months of them "dating", and Avi still hasn't told him. It's an easy sentence, really.

"Mitch, I think I'm falling in love with you and this wasn't meant to be a trick."

But, it gets to when Mitch is standing there in front of him, or sitting next to him on the couch watching their new favorite movie, and he's looking at him and everything they could have, and the words just get stuck. They don't come out, they don't present themselves in a declaration of undying love and eloquence like how it goes in shows. It's just the two of them and that's what Avi wants.

But Mitch never makes it easy. When Avi doesn't have his hair tied back, Mitch's hands are in it, especially when it's just them. If Scott starts teasing, Mitch turns the jokes onto Scott until they're all distracted from Avi. The sophomore-in-high-school inside him keeps getting his hopes up, almost 100% convinced that these things are signs.

There's nothing about Mitch that's easy. It's always earth-shattering riffs and devastating high notes that leave you shivering. Designer clothes and the nicest fashion bags. A loud speech and a ringing laugh. Hilarious jokes and heartfelt pep talks, both which would usually leave you crying.

That's probably what attracted Avi in the first place. The lure of Mitch being so many extremes at once, all shoved into this beautiful person. He was so sick of the same old people when he met Mitch. He was instantly on a pedestal, bright stage lights shining down on him. Avi was a goner the moment he introduced himself as "Mitchell Grassi, but call me Mitch".
__________
I'm going to leave this here. more of a filler chapter I think. (remember how I said this isn't going to be very long) and comments about the first note would be really great