part 5.

hi lovelies! in this, Avi wrote Can't Sleep Love by himself
-

The night passed by slowly, and by the time it was dark they were warming up to each other. They sat on the couch, watching movies, Mitch leaning on Avi and Avi playing with his fingers as they held hands.

"I never expected this," Mitch said.

Avi smiled, leaning his head on top of Mitch's. "Neither did I, really."

"I thought it would be weird the whole time," Mitch continued. Avi laughed a little; he preferred Mitch's voice over the movie's dialogue anyway. "But this is... Nice."

Avi tried to control the fluttering feeling in his chest. At some point he would need to address why he was doing this. Fully accept it to himself. Tell Mitch about it. Maybe.

"I just can't believe you're sitting in one spot for this long," Avi said, ruining it, and Mitch smacked his chest.

"That's only 'cause you're warm and a better cuddler than Scott."

Avi flushed. Mitch won that round. As per usual.
  ***

Around eleven, Mitch was asleep. Even though they've been on the road together for this long, Avi's never really seen Mitch asleep. Usually he's in his bunk or under a blanket. But his face looked peaceful and sweet, and a few times Avi found himself pushing Mitch's hair out of his face. He really needed to address this.

"Mitch," he whispered, nudging him. "Mitch!"

Mitch's eyes blinked open and he sat up too fast. "What happened?"

"It's getting late," Avi said. "Do you, um, want to stay?"

Mitch rubbed his eyes. "You said no sex right?"

"R-right." Damn.

Mitch laughed. "Just checking. I'll stay."

Avi took the couch, and Mitch took his bed. With no where near enough hesitation.
***

A few days later, Avi took the song to Scott. He'd been working on it for almost a month now, and he'd decided it was finally ready.

As Scott, was reading it, Avi got an idea. "Could you say that you wrote this, instead of me?"

Scott looked up, shocked. "Avi, I'm not going to take a song from you-"

"Please, Scott?"

He was confused, Avi could tell. And probably more suspicious than he let on. But he agreed. One of the good things about Scott.

Presenting the song to the whole group was a bit more nerve wracking, even if Avi wasn't actually behind it. Scott awkwardly passed the paper around, sending glances at Avi every few minutes. If this wasn't so crucial to his plan, he would've felt bad.

"This is pretty good, Scotty," Mitch said, sharing the paper with Kirstie. "I'm impressed. When did you find time to do this?"

Scott flushed crimson, turning to Avi desperately. Okay, that much he could handle on his own. Avi decided to rescue him.

"Hey, can I see it?" he asked Mitch, crossing the room to take it out of his hands.

Mitch winked as he handed it over, and Kirstie smirked over his shoulder. Avi rolled his eyes. Children.

Avi gave the paper back to Scott, though it felt weird to praise him for something Avi wrote himself. Kevin immediately wanted to get to work, and Mitch and Kirstie were talking over each other teasingly over who would get which parts.

Scott leaned over to Avi. "Are you going to tell me why you did this?"

Avi shook his head. "Not yet."

Scott shrugged, joining the clamor of their bandmates until they didn't remember what they were even shouting about.

Too often, Avi found himself looking at Mitch. He really, really, really, needed to address this. Soon.
____________
this is a short, filler-ish chapter. I wanted to drag this story out a bit more because I'm having fun writing it.

also, while I appreciate every single comment beyond expression, the comments that actually give me feedback about the story itself are very important to me. just a little reminder that every comment has been incredibly sweet, but I'd still like a different kind of feedback :)