"I don't like the idea of leaving you behind," Merek said honestly.

"I'm not alone," she reminded him. "I'll have Phantom."

"Still," Merek said. "This plan is dangerous. I don't understand why you need to risk so much."

"Just trust that I have my reasons," Jade told him as Phantom arrived. He came to Jade and she stroked her fur. Merek watched them a moment.

"He's gotten bigger," Merek said with a nod and pulled out a food ration from his pack. Jade nodded and she took a moment to listen to Phantoms emotions. He had found nothing interesting in the area. They were safe for the time being. Phantom left again to hunt and Jade ate with Merek around the fire in silence.

"We've come a long way, haven't we?" Merek asked after a while.

Jade smiled. "We really have," she nodded.

"I still remember the wild looking woman we found back at the village," he said. "You looked like a murderer with all the blood and mud that covered you."

Jade laughed, "You were more stiff back then too, you acted cold and had a mask on all the time."

Merek smiled. "I guess we've all changed."

"For the better I think," Jade offered.

"I think so," he agreed.

They were silent again for a moment and Jade stared into the fire. "Life is strange," she said finally.

"Yes," Merek said. "Yes it is."

So much had happened since Jade had left Felkor. She never could have predicted the way events had unfolded in her life. Nor could she have thought she would be back at Felkor so soon. Yet, at the same time, it felt like a lifetime since she had been home. Jade was both nervous and excited to cross back over the Felkorian border. She dreaded what was to come, but was also impatient for it.

Her life would never be the same. If Hamlin was successful then Jade would be able to hunt down the Magician who had cursed her, the man who had murdered her parents. She would finally be able to revenger her parents and bring retribution to the man who had brought so much hardship into Jade's life. If Hamlin was not successful...Jade didn't really want to think about that possibility.

It was too dangerous for Jade to trek through the mountains at night so she and Merek slept while they could. An hour before daybreak they packed up camp and made their way toward the pass. Jade had never been to the pass before, she only knew from maps and memorization where it was.

"This is it," she said as the first rays of sunlight began to warm them. Jade dismounted and unstrapped the pack that she had secured to Chances saddle. The mare nickered as if she knew Jade was about to leave her behind.

Merek looked up the mountain. "Where?" he asked. "This looks just as impassable as the rest of it."

"It's there," Jade said. "It's hard going for a ways and then it opens up. It's not an easy climb, but it's passable."

Merek frowned. "You're really sure about this?"

"Yes," Jade nodded firmly.

Merek sighed and dismounted. He helped Jade get her bow and arrows secured to her pack along with her sword. Having the sword on her waist would only get in the way of her ability to hike. When everything was ready he hugged Jade briefly then stepped back. "I'll take care of Chance, just make sure you take care of yourself," he told her.