Chapter 13

Tension around the palace was palpable. After Reiner relayed Jade's conversation with the Northman she was summoned to speak with the king and his advisors. Jade was not prone to nervous behavior or intimidation but in a room of leaders Jade felt oddly uneasy. The queen was present; she sat off behind the actual meeting and listened instead of giving her opinion, so she was no help. Reiner was present but was no permitted to speak openly as to support Jade, so it fell upon her shoulders alone to speak to the room.

Afterward rumor seemed to spread like oil on water and soon whispers of the alleged assassination attempt was everywhere. No one openly accused or asked the royal family what happened, but the presence of the Northmen started a buzz in the community and the movement of the army and the injured soldiers after the attack had been noticed as well. The palace, to put it lightly, was chaos.

Reiner was in a state Jade had not witnessed before. He kept to himself when he wasn't busy with last minute preparations and planning. He was irritable and anxious and there was an underling tension that Jade was not ignorant to notice—sexual frustration. Whenever Jade was alone with Reiner she saw how he subconsciously reach toward her or leaned closer to listen. His eyes went to her lips or she would sometimes find him staring at someplace on her neck or exposed skin.

Since their one night together Jade made a conscious effort to keep herself composed and calculation. She shut down her feelings and emotions as she was trained to do and she did her duty. She buried everything else to be sorted through when she was alone and no one could witness her turmoil.

Despite everything that was happening the week seemed to drag. Anticipation was thick, Reiner's personal guard were outfitted and armed and prepared for departure so Jade saw little of Merek and Lander. Jade found herself longing for the road. She was tired of the tightening walls of the palace and anticipated the simpler life that accompanied a journey. Jade was born for the wilderness and open sky. She was born for the wild.

Jade did, however, admit to herself that she would miss Louisa. The young princess had wormed her way into Jade's heart and after their rather blunt conversation in the bath the girl had made an effort to visit Jade every day before she left. Jade promised to write to Louisa when she could but it would be difficult on the road. They would be traveling swiftly and they would not be under the royal colors. Reiner wished to reach Felkor as quickly as possible without drawing attention.

The queen did not visit Jade again privately. She gave her subtle smiles and nods in Jade's direction to acknowledge her presence. Jade knew though that there was nothing else to say between them. The queen had spoken her peace and Jade had given her all of her secrets in confidence. There was an understanding between them now that whatever happened next was up to Jade.

The final night before departing Jade could not sleep. She had organized and packed her things. She made her preparations and all there was left to do was to sleep and wait until the guard game to wake them. They would leave before dawn on a fishing vessel that would take them to The Crossing. From there they would head north along the river road through Gideon and Caxil before finally heading east to Felkor. It would have been faster to take the boat all the way to Black Beach and then travel north through the grasslands but the risk of the land being flooded from the spring rains was too great and Jade had no pressing desire to ever see those lands again. The last time she had traveled through there it had nearly cost her life.

Jade wandered the halls with Phantom by her side. They ate a late meal together and walked in the gardens. Jade began to make it a daily task to measure Phantom's height when he stood by her side. He was as tall as a Great Wolf now though not yet as filled out. Jade marked his proportions in a small journal that she kept. He was still awkward, his paws and ears were larger than the rest of his body, though he didn't look as much of an adolescent wolf now. Already he came to her hip and she knew that no would ever mistake him for a large dog again.