Chapter 3

Kenneth sat at a table, hidden deep in the shadow's of the bar watching Ailis talk to the vampire bartender. He'd left her angry. She had no right telling him what to do. She had no power over him. But after he'd fed, (not killed, just fed), he was calmer and able to think more clearly. He'd realized maybe he'd overreacted a bit. He was over one hundred years old and his own master. He didn't take orders from anyone. He needed to play nice with her, no matter what. There was something strange going on here and he intended on finding out what. There was no way she would co operate if he continued pissing her off. If he hadn't blown it already, that is. He'd just gotten to her house when he'd seen her haul ass on her motorcycle. He'd followed her (flying of course) to a club not more that than five doors down from the scene of his last execution. She'd parked in the back and hopped off her Harley. Good God, what seeing her hauling ass down the road on that beast had done to him. This woman was nothing like Carmelita. She was tough as nails and could probably kick a few asses but she was also funny and sensitive at the same time. He'd prayed she wasn't too pissed at him.

She'd hugged the vampire at the back door whose name, Kenneth learned, was Tito. His first instinct was to rush over and rip out the vampires' heart. He was glad he didn't as he could tell pretty quickly that they were friends and nothing more. His interest was peaked when they started talking about him. The urge to kill the vampire came over him again when he heard him tell Ailis that the vampires would take care of Kenneth. He nearly rushed the Cuban until he heard Ailis stick up for him and tell Tito that he only killed scum. Kenneth's heart made a strange little lurch in his chest and he almost thought it might start beating. It quickly ceased and hardened when she stated that he was delusional for thinking that he was helping. He was helping for God's sake! He'd taken a serial murderer that no-one had been able to catch for three years out of this world. He deserved a medal dammit!

What did he care what she thought? Stupid Vampire Witch, whatever she was. He was Kenneth Alejandro Nunez. He did whatever he wanted, however he wanted dammit! His conviction wavered when he heard the bouncer express worry about Kenneth bringing unwanted attention to the local vampires, as well as the comment about at least attempting to hide the body.

He'd not thought about the risk to any of the locals if their species were to be found out. He'd left the bodies to be found on purpose. Maybe he'd been going about this wrong. When Ailis and the bouncer laughed as if they were mocking him, Kenneth nearly came unglued. How dare this meaningless nothing jest at his expense! He'd had to stop and calm himself. She'd never trust him enough so he could find out what the hell happened to Carmelita and if she was dead or not. And if she was, why had he felt her earlier. He knew, even though Ailis denied it, she'd felt her grandmother's presence as well. He had to get her to talk, he thought as he listened to her assure the vampire bartender that he wasn't after vamps. He felt another pang of guilt at realizing he'd never once taken into account, the repercussions his actions might cause these innocent vampires to suffer. He felt even worse when he heard Maya express sorrow that Ailis was stuck with arresting a suspect for this. The humans want a murderer caught. Ailis had to figure out how to explain this without exposing the vampire race. He saw her chug a double shot like a pro and lean her head back in an effort to relax. Her neck was exposed at the most delicious angle. His fangs sprang free at the same time his partner decided it was time for him to have some fun. He was immediately ashamed of himself. Well, almost ashamed anyway. Here he was finding out that his every action was making her life hell and all he could do was lust after the poor woman. What the hell was wrong with him? He asked, not expecting an answer.

She stood up and unbuckled a gun belt at her waist before handing it to Maya. It carried two very large Glock 9mm's. Kenneth's fangs descended once more and his partner grew even larger. Those where some big damn guns she was carrying. So far tonight, he'd discovered that she wasn't human.  ( Well not entirely anyway. He just couldn't figure out why he couldn't sense what species she was. ) She maneuvered her massive Harley with ease and looked sexy as hell on it and she packed more heat than Rambo. This woman was an enigma. Was the tough Girl all an act or could she back it all up? Kenneth had always been drawn to tough girls. He liked being able to protect a woman but at the same time, he wanted his woman to be able to handle herself so he didn't turn into a paranoid schizophrenic all the freaking time. He tended to worry a lot since Carmelita's death. Partly the reason he'd stuck to one night stands all these years. He was on a mission and didn't have time to worry about a woman. In this case, his woman could probably take care of herself. His Woman? What the hell was he thinking? She would never be his woman. He needed her for information and that was it. If what he was thinking was right, he'd spent the last hundred years avenging a death that didn't need avenging. He just needed Ailis for whatever information she could give him and possibly whatever pleasure she would allow him to take from her. He wanted or needed nothing else from this confounded woman, Right? When she peeled off her leather jacket, revealing long perfectly toned arms and her perfect pair of breasts that threatened to burst through the tiny day glow pink tank top she was wearing, Kenneth forgot he didn't need air to live and began heaving rapidly for breath.