Chapter 6

Kenneth awoke several hours later and Ailis was not beside him. It was close to dawn and he had to leave soon. He did a quick mental search of the house and found that she was in the attic. He thought about just leaving but figured that he should at least apologize for last night. Although, he was sure that once she woke up and remembered what he'd done to her, she'd ran from the room as fast as her feet would take her. He still wasn't sure what had happened. She'd been dreaming when he'd gotten there and it was a bad one. He'd tried to wake her but it wasn't working. He knew she hated when he invaded her mind but he really felt as if he had no other choice. So he tried to give her a command to wake. In retrospect, he guessed it was a bad idea. When her eyes popped open, the green in them was glowing so bright, Kenneth had to shield his eyes. The small yellow flakes in her eyes seemed to shimmer like gold.

   He had gotten the distinct feeling something else was in there with Ailis. Something way more powerful than Kenneth had ever experienced.

   Kenneth had felt power gather all around him as her eyes continued to glow fiercely. He knew in that moment, something other than Ailis had complete control of her faculties. The next thing he remembered was taking her blood.

   He scrubbed his hand over his face in frustration as he sat and hung his legs over the side of her bed. He just wished he could remember what the hell had happened. He couldn't believe he'd attacked her and what was that thing in her when she'd woken up? He wondered. Was it in there all the time? Should he fear it? Kenneth didn't know the answer to the first two questions. As for the third, for some reason deep down inside, he felt she would never hurt him intentionally. He was the one who'd hurt her. He thought, disgusted with himself knowing she'd never forgive him. She's probably hiding in the attic waiting for me to leave. He thought with an unwelcome stab of pain suspiciously close to were his heart used to be. He got up and trudged to the attic, a man nearly defeated to tell her goodbye and that he was leaving her alone for good.

   When he entered the attic she was staring out the window. She turned and smiled and then turned back to face the window. Kenneth suddenly remembered the taste and feel of her blood running down his throat and his fangs sprang free as his constant companion surged to attention. She'd tasted like pure warm sunshine caressing his every follicle. He knew he'd suffer all of eternity, craving just one more drop.

  "You know," She said. "I can't imagine what it must be like never to see the sun. I could stand not walking in it but you don't even get to see it."

  "Kenneth wasn't sure where she was going with this but he knew that he needed to leave soon, before he did something utterly unforgivable like ravish her in this very spot. He cleared his throat and hardened himself to her.

  "I came to tell you good-bye." He told her formally.

  She turned back to face him quickly, her eyes were very wide. "No you can't. I mean not yet. I have a surprise for you." She told him excitedly. He raised an eyebrow at her. "Don't worry." She said "You will like it." Now Kenneth was interested. What was this girl thinking? "Sit in the chair and close your eyes." She commanded him.

  Okay. He thought. Now this is getting kinky. He sat and immediately, steel clamps wrapped around his wrists and ankles. He looked at her shocked. "What's this?" He asked. "What are you doing?"

  She walked over to the chair and knelt with her face close to his. "You are going to see the sun." She said with a smile. He began to panic and tried to rip the steel clamps. She put her hand over his and in a calm steady voice she said, "Calm down I'm not going to hurt you. The clamps are because I knew that you would panic."

  He stopped struggling and tried for a calm thought to rationalize with her. "Look," He started "I know what I did last night was terrible but does that really warrant killing me?"