Chapter 49: Healed

Start from the beginning

"May I come in?" the blonde lady I guessed to be Tsunade asked politely.

Liz and I stood up respectfully, "Of course."

Sakura wasn't expecting this however, "Who are you?" she asked as she beheld Tsunade.

"Hey guys! Sasuke will be alright now!" Naruto burst out from behind Tsunade, "She's a great doctor!" he exclaimed happily.

"You must be the Fifth," Liz and I dipped our heads politely.

Tsunade regarded me curiously, she seemed to be looking at something on my face intently.

"It's the rings under your eyes, Zombie-Vira," Liz chuckled quietly.

I tensed and rubbed my eyes quickly, hoping that I could remove it quickly. Tsunade giggled.

"Thank you, Tsunade-sama, for coming to Konoha," I bowed lower so that she couldn't see the evidence of my all-nighters I had spent in the hospital.

Sakura was talking with Naruto but suddenly she turned to Tsunade, "I-I heard from Gai-Sensei. Please... please help Sasuke-kun!" Sakura also bowed to her.

She smiled at the three of us standing together, "I guess this one is quite popular," she laughed.

Liz backed away a few steps, "No, I'm just their friends... or teammates. Nothing going on," she said, shaking her head vigorously.

I backed away too, "Teammate," I kept my face down so that she couldn't see the red creeping into my cheeks.

"Alright! Leave it to me!" Tsunade gave us a promising smile.

She put a hand on Sasuke's forehead and an orb of green surrounded it. Sakura's eyes teared up as she watched Tsunade complete what seemed like a simple task to her.

Tsunade turned to us, looking into our eager eyes, "He'll wake up soon," she assured.

I felt several muscles in my body relax as I let her words sink in, "Thank you," I murmured, "For saving my teammate," I added quickly as Tsunade scrutinized my face.

She released the jutsu and as she walked by me she put a hand on my shoulder, "Don't be afraid to show it, while the both of you are still alive," she whispered and swept by to stop next to the other girl.

I looked up at her, faking confusion but all she did was wink at me. I shook my head and leaned against the wall as we waited for Sasuke to come to. The time crept past slowly, the clock seemed to be ticking backwards. I nearly nodded off but Liz stood beside me, making sure I didn't do a face plant when I fell.

Tsunade walked over to me, "How much sleep have you been getting in the past week?" she asked me, a frown running across her pale face.

"Enough," I answered stiffly.

"Pft," Liz rolled her eyes and looked away.

Tsunade smiled kindly, "Why don't you go get some sleep, I'll wake you when he regains consciousness," she suggested.

I shook my head, "I'm fine," I replied firmly, "T-thank you for your concern, Tsunade-sama," I looked down at my feet respectfully.

I heard a light rustle of fabric and turned to see that Sasuke had pushed himself up into a sitting position.

"Sasuke-kun!" Sakura wailed and threw her arms around him.

I resisted the urge to do the same and stayed my place. Liz nudged me, a little harder than needed but I didn't budge. I heard the unmistakable sniffling of Sakura, who was most likely crying.

"Sasuke... you..." Naruto's voice cracked and he didn't finish his sentence.

He walked over to the edge of the bed to deliver his own words.

"Go!" Liz hissed and pushed me forward.

"Liz!" I pushed against her.

"Well, I'll go take a look at your Sensei now, glad that you are better, Sasuke," Tsunade swept out of the room to leave the five of us and Jiraiya.

Her assisstant, it seemed like, followed her out the door.

"You're finally awake, it's good to have you back," I said to Sasuke who was still wrapped in Sakura's arms.

He smiled weakly at Liz and I. Someone suddenly came in. It was a Jounin, I didn't recognize him.

"Elize Chiffon and Elvira May? Am I correct?" he asked us.

We nodded in unison.

He heaved a sigh, "Okay, please step out for a minute," he beckoned to us.

I looked at Liz and we obeyed. We stepped out and slid the door closed.

"Yes?" Liz asked.

The man beamed widely and grabbed our hands, shaking them, "Congratulations, the elders have decided that you two and Shikamaru Nara have been promoted to the status of Chuunin!"

I grimaced, "Just the three of us?" I queried.

"Yup! Good work!" he shook our hands once again and speed-walked away.

Liz waited until he turned a corner before jumping up and whooping cheerfully, "Shikamaru too!" she grabbed my hands and bounced up and down ecstatically.

"Yeah... just the three of us," I said distractedly.

Liz's smile faded, "Is something wrong?"

"No, not really," I opened the door and entered again.

"What was all that about?" Naruto asked us.

Sasuke looked curious too, "N-nothing," I lied.

I knew Sasuke's personality, if he heard that Shikamaru, Liz and I were the only ones to be promoted, he would be outraged.

A nurse walked in, "I have received instructions from Tsunade and you should be able to leave the hospital the day after tomorrow," she informed, "Congratulations on getting better!" and she left the room.

"Yeah! You'll be outta here and doing missions again soon Sasuke!" Naruto exclaimed, jumping into the air.