Halloween

The sunset was beautiful as we all walked outside, dressed in our Halloween costumes. They were dressed up as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Ken was Leonardo, Jack was Raphael, Felix was Donatello, and Mark was Michelangelo. Of course, I was dressed as April O'Neal, from the same comics and movies and TV shows.

They were all very excited, because when they were at the orphanage, they never got to go trick-or-treating.

"Okay, turtles, pose with your weapons," I told them as I took out my phone and they posed, trying to look cool. I giggled and took a picture of them. "Okay, who's ready for some candy?" I pronounced 'candy' like 'can-day' and waved my arms around, trying to make them laugh. They did, and they grabbed their candy buckets that looked like jack-o-lanterns and grabbed mine and each other's hands, more than ready to go. We started off to the neighbor's house, but I knew something they didn't know.

The neighbor, Jeremy Esposito, had known me since high school, and we had flirted for years without ever actually dating. In high school, we were that 'will they or won't they?' pair, and we still were with our friends. 

Anyway, I had called Jeremy and told him our costume plans as soon as I came up with the idea. Jeremy was going to come out dressed as the Shredder, the villain from TMNT, and he was going to 'capture' me and the boys were going to have to save me. I grinned as we walked up to his door and rang the doorbell. "Trick or treat!" we all yelled.

He opened the door, wearing the full armor that was a little similar to a samurai's. I could still see Jeremy's eyes, though, and he winked at me. I blushed and looked down.

"Oh ho ho," he started, imitating the Shredder's voice the best that he could. "You turtles walked right into my trap!" He laughed evilly.

The boys gasped, but I could tell they at least halfway knew we were playing.

Jeremy grabbed me around the waist and held me against him with my back to him. I was squealing internally.

He pressed his plastic claw thing to my neck. "So, turtles, how will you save your precious April now?" He laughed evilly again. I had to fight the smile that wanted to form on my face.

"Boys, help me!" I exclaimed, acting helpless and throwing my hand up to my forehead.

They ran to him and started hitting him in the legs with their weapons and kicking him.

He shouted, feigning injury and falling down, pulling me down with him. I somehow got turned around as we fell, so when I opened my eyes, I was on top of him, my face was inches from his. I gasped and stared at him. He just took off his helmet and smirked at me. "Hey there, Jessie."

"Hi, Jeremy," I blushed and didn't move. I sort of wondered what the boys were thinking, but at the same time, I didn't really care. I liked being this close to the half-Italian lying beneath me.

"Mommy, are you okay?" I heard Felix's voice ask. I felt a small finger poke me in the leg.

I looked back at him. "I'm fine, baby," I answered. I got up and held a hand out for Jeremy, and he took it and pulled himself back up, his curly black locks a mess from falling. "Boys, this is Jeremy. He's one of my friends."

Mark wasn't having it, and he crossed his arms over his chest. "Mommy, is he your boyfriend?" he asked. All the other boys giggled.

I looked at Jeremy, then I looked at them, then back at Jeremy, then back at them. "Not yet," I crooned, giving Jeremy a wink.

The boys went crazy with 'oooh's and giggles.

He blushed and waved goodbye as we went on to the next house. I waved back and mouthed the words 'call me.'

Throughout the night, as we walked through the neighborhood, I couldn't stop thinking about Jeremy. Why hadn't we ever dated? I had no idea, but I was going to change that as soon as possible.

When we were back home, the boys dumped out their buckets and traded some of their candy. They gave me some of it, too, and I was so happy to be munching on Sweettarts and Starbursts. We all sat around and ate candy and watched the Nightmare Before Christmas until it was time for baths and then bed. 

I slept peacefully, dreaming of my boys, and the dreamboat next door.