Pretty Hair

You'll understand what inspired this part by the end of it xD

We were in the playroom, with a few child-sized easels set up and finger paints designed to wash off of skin and clothes easily. Since Jack and Mark were sharing one, I took the empty one and decided to paint something myself, not that I had very much artistic ability. Writing, acting, and playing instruments, I was good at those forms of art. Painting and drawing, not so much.

I dipped my finger in the pink paint and began to paint a colorful fish. I added purple and yellow to the fins, and it actually turned out okay. Of course it wasn't a masterpiece, but it was better than what I usually did with any medium of visual art. I smiled at my painting and peeked around my easel, looking at Felix's. It looked like he decided to paint a tree with birds nesting in it. I looked on the other side of me and saw that Ken was painting a caterpillar. I smiled, liking that we all seemed to have an appreciation for nature. Mark and Jack were across from me, so I couldn't just lean to see what they were doing. I heard impish giggling, so I decided to investigate. I walked over to their easel sneakily and found only their pink and green handprints on the paper. I looked down and saw that Mark's hair was covered in pink paint, and Jack's was too, only his was green. I gasped, and they looked up at me, both looking proud of what they had done.

"Mommy, look!" Jack said excitedly. "Now our hair is pretty colors!"

I couldn't keep from laughing anymore. I snorted and laughed heartily. "I can see that, sweetheart," I said to him. "Wait just a second, you two." I walked to the kitchen and washed my hands hastily, drying them and grabbing my phone. I walked back into the playroom and held up my phone, telling them both to smile. They did, and I snapped the picture before anything could screw up that moment.

I smiled and looked at them. "You know that paint is for painting a picture, not painting ourselves or each other."

They looked down and nodded.

"Okay, everyone come with me," I announced to all the boys. They all walked up to me and looked at me questioningly. "Ken and Felix, you need to wash your hands. Mark and Jack..."

"Do we have to get a bath?" Mark asked, frowning.

"Yes, baby," I answered. "It's not gonna hurt you." I smirked at them when I saw them pouting.

"Just follow me, ducklings," I said, and walked to the bathroom. They followed me, and Ken hopped up onto the stool so he could reach the sink. Felix stood next to him, waiting patiently. I looked over at the other two, just standing there. "You two know what to do," I teased. "Get naked."

They giggled at me and I actually helped them get out of their clothes so that paint wouldn't get on them. I started the bath when Felix was done washing his hands. Ken and Felix walked to their room, probably grateful they didn't have to bathe right now.

"Get in, goofballs," I said, picking the boys up and sitting them in the tub.

It took a little while to get all the paint out of their hair, but I did it, and gave them little fauxhawks in the process. When we were done, they dried off and we all went back into the playroom, but played with blocks this time. They couldn't attempt to dye each other's hair with blocks.