New Mommy

I was typing up the seventh chapter to my romance novel, and I was right in the middle of one of the raunchier scenes when a notification popped up on my screen. High priority email.

All right, I guess if it's that important, I'll check it, I thought. I pulled up my email and found the email from someone by the name of Dolores Quinn. I had no idea who she was, but the email didn't go to my spam folder, so I assumed it was important. I opened the email and read it.

My jaw dropped. I read it again to make sure I was seeing everything correctly.

The email had said that my great-uncle Louis had passed away last night. Uncle Louis, the weird uncle that had never gotten married or had any children of his own. The one that decided to adopt four little boys a month ago because he was lonely. It also mentioned that I was his only living relative with enough income to take care of the boys.

Was I going to become a mother?

I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Sure, I loved kids. But I was kind of awkward around them, like I was with every other human being. And it was four boys. Boys were usually more mischievous than girls. Well, they couldn't force me to take care of them, but after some thought, I decided I would much rather raise them myself than let them go to some strange person who might not be a suitable parent. Besides, I had motherly instincts. I had been told that by many people for years.

I quickly responded to Dolores's email (it said in her email that she was their social worker), letting her know I was fine with taking them in and that she could bring them here when she was ready. In a few minutes, she let me know that they would be flying here from Virginia the day after tomorrow.

In the time that I had, I child-proofed my house to the best of my abilities. If I was going to be a mommy, I was going to do it right.

********

I sat on my couch, waiting for my doorbell to ring. Today was the day. I was going to meet my boys for the first time. I honestly got lucky on a few things. I already had two other bedrooms in my house with a full-sized bed in each, so two of them could have one room and the other two could have the other. I was also lucky to have an SUV that would fit all of them inside. Dolores said they would come with all of their clothes and books and toys, so I shouldn't worry about that. Of course, I had to buy them welcome gifts. I was a Potterhead, and I was going to make sure they grew up to be the same way, and I had bought four shirts, one with each house's symbol on it. I was told about the personality of each of the boys by Dolores over the phone, so I knew which shirt was going to who already. I had also bought them all a stuffed animal, though I would let them choose which one they wanted out of those. I had a stuffed duck, a stuffed bear, a stuffed squirrel, and a stuffed weasel. I hoped they would play nice when they picked which ones they wanted.

As I was lost in my own world, thinking about my boys, I heard the doorbell ring. They're here! I thought. I got up and quickly walked to the door. I took a deep breath and opened it, seeing a smiling older woman with white hair, flanked by four children.

"Hello, Miss Jones, it's a pleasure to meet you," she said, extending her hand.

I shook her hand, the smile on my face probably making me look like an idiot. "The pleasure is all mine, Mrs. Quinn."

I showed her inside and watched as the boys followed her in a straight line, like little ducks. It was one of the cutest things I had ever witnessed. I took a seat on the couch as Dolores sat in the chair adjacent to it. "Now boys," she began. "Why don't you introduce yourselves to Miss Jessie? She's your new mommy now, so it would be nice if she knew your names, your birthdays, and how old you are, and you could tell her about your favorite toys."