Chapter 1--The Day Before the Reaping

It couldn't have come any quicker.

So you thought, dressing up for what may be the final time in typical casual everyday clothes--a simple button-up shirt and a pair of dark brown capris and dark brown boots, with your (H/C) hair tied in a simple ponytail. It pained you to think that it was the day before the annual reaping for the annual Hunger Games once more; to think that twenty-four more of Panem's adolescents would be making an encore in the deadliest form of peace was abhorrent. Even if they did have the luxurious rich perks from the Capitol, they still had blood and gore in the picture. It was typical for every parent to worry about their child's safety, but what more could one do than to make the best of it? With a quick shake of your head, you headed downstairs and quickly helped yourself to a glass of water. 

"Morning, mom," you greeted her, smiling broadly.

She turned to you as she dried up a dish, smiling at you in return. "Hello, (Y/N)," she greeted you warmly.

You drained the glass in one go and then helped yourself to some breakfast she cooked herself--some eggs and flat bread and milk were all you had. Not that you minded, though. It was filling, and it was always made out of care and love.

"You know mom, if I do get reaped, at least I get to die somewhat in comfort," you shrugged.

This made your mom drop her towel. "Wh-what?"

"Mom, have you already forgotten? The reaping is tomorrow," you reminded her blandly, taking a bite out of your toast.

"I know, I know," your mom said. She heaved a big sigh. "I just want you to be okay. I just want you to be safe."

You laughed hollowly. "Mom. What with the Capitol at our backs all the time, I'm pretty sure we're not always going to be safe."

"If only we can just...forget that the rebellion happened. Move on with life in peace," your mom sighed.

You only shook your head, though. Wishing isn't exactly going to get us anywhere. "What's past is past," you shrugged. "But as long as the odds aren't in my favour, I'll be staying here with you by your side, all the time."

Your mom chuckled and gave you a spontaneous hug. "I'll remember that, (Y/N)."

You laughed as you ate your breakfast. Your mom is literally the best person and your best friend in the world, and you couldn't have been happier in her company. Your dad died when you were younger, due to a mining accident, so naturally, you've grown close to your mom and cared for her very deeply.

Just then, you heard a knock on the door. Eggs still in mouth, you were about to stand and get the door, but my mom beat you to it with her brisk fast pace.

"Crap," you muttered, you mouth stuffed with food as you tried to chew and swallow.

The door opened, and you heard your mom have a chat with the person at the door.

"Yes, do come in," she finally said, and in walked...Peeta Mellark.

The sight of him made your stomach do flips. There he was, your best friend since your very first day of school and your friend throughout the years. Ashy blond hair fell in wisps onto his forehead, and he walked with a steady and slow tread towards you, just as you were swallowing the last of your milk.

"Hello, (Y/N)," Peeta greeted you, a wide smile plastered on his face at the sight of you.

You waved and wiped your mouth with a napkin. "Hello, Peeta," you greeted him back, trying to keep a neutral tone. "How're you faring?"

"Oh, I'm alright," Peeta shrugged. "Just...nervous about tomorrow."

You nodded. "Yeah. Me too."

Never Yours (Peeta Mellark X Reader)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara