Chapter 6--No Chance, or No Idea?

"The Training Centre is built with twelve floors, one for each district," Effie told you now as you entered the elevator with her. "Since the both of you are from District 12, you two get to live in the penthouse."

You were still in a daze as you recalled everything that happened today--from the moment you were called up and flashed off some of your skills with a blade to outshining everyone else in the tribute parade, and even to the point where Peeta had to compliment you and make you feel all warm and light inside. Giving Peeta's hand a gentle squeeze, you all rode up the elevator and then exited on your landing, your eyes widening in awe at the luxurious space that laid in front of your eyes.

"So this is the living room--" Effie began, turning back now to see both you and Peeta staring in amazement. "I know, I know!" she cried. "You'll be living here for a while, so do get used to it while you can." 

You nodded as you let your eyes wander. This place truly was amazing--very different from what you were used to back in 12. Yet the horrible underlying truth of you possibly dying in this very same place kept bugging you...though you managed to push it down and banish it from your mind for now.

"I can just feast my eyes on this all day," you whispered to Peeta, turning slightly to see his eyes sparkle in awe.

Peeta nodded. "Yeah. This would beat my own house any day."

Effie smiled as she saw the both of you still holding hands, smiling at each other. "Well, you two look pretty cute," she gushed. "Anyway, why don't you two get changed? We'll have ourselves some dinner afterwards for our grand splash at the parade."

Reluctantly, you agreed as you let Peeta's hand go, and you went to the left where your quarters were waiting for you. A plush bed, not unlike the one on the train, was placed in the middle of the room. You spotted a few lamps here and there, a fireplace on one wall, and a window just on the other side of the room. Your eyes fell on a small remote controller, which laid on the side of the bed, and hesitantly you went over to it, picking it up gingerly. It felt a little bit heavy in your hand, but you could manage the slight weight in your hand like it was nothing.

Curiosity overtook you as you scrolled through the different options and pressed one random one. At once, the scene on the window changed from a night sky to the city streets, where people in the Capitol were strolling around and talking among themselves. You changed the scene again, and there came a desert looming in your view.

Finally, you changed it one more time...and your eyes laid on a meadow. 

Being from town, you never had much time to explore much of your district. Town was a busy place to be anyway. But you have been to the meadow once or twice with Peeta before, and every time you went you always saw him in a different light. He was your best friend, but under the sun he became someone more than that. Would he think the same way of you if these memories ever come to surface in his brain?

Eventually, you turned off the settings, and the window revealed to you the night sky once more. 

Off in the corner you saw a door leading to a huge lavish bathroom. Excited, you ran inside the bathroom and marveled at the sight of the tubs and showers and high-tech beauty things in there. District 12 didn't have much hot water for baths unless you boiled some yourself. And there were even soaps of different scents! You quickly took off your costume and hopped into the shower, trying out practically every different soap under the warm water that ran from the shower head above, and you imagined it to be like a warm rain back home.

Exiting the shower after half an hour, you quickly got changed into a casual outfit--a blouse with track pants and your hair loose and damp behind your back--and made your way to the dining room.