Beauty Marked Part 37

After leaving Elise to her fiancé, I threw myself into training. I worked harder and used the power of every single one of the guards around me. The other royal guards caught on, and started to keep their distance from me as I decimated mannequin after mannequin on the training grounds. I was strong enough to get past this. I didn't need her, I didn't before so why would I now? I would have my freedom and be able to move on. I would become stronger, do whatever the lord wanted of me and be done with everything here, to find my own path. I would become strong enough.

My intense self- training went on for several days before I was finally called upon, ready for action and past ready for a chance to prove myself. But was sadly disappointed when my call was only from Devlin no less. I was wondering when he'd want to speak to me alone, I guess he had finally mustered up the courage to do so. He was clearly wary of me as I walked into a conference room to meet him- the atmosphere itself was that of loathing. I didn't think very highly of him; and He didn't think anything of me. A large table stood in the middle of the room and Devlin hadn't bothered to sit at it but stood near the head of it, as though it was still of a position of greater power over me. His methods to intimidate me were humorous, and I let my smile show slightly.

"You sent for me?" I asked with mock obedience. Devlin just looked at me. "Are you always so damn full of yourself?" he asked in disdain. I kept my small smile, "I take it you have nothing to smile about?" Devlin glared at me before responding, "I do. Though, you will have nothing to smile about once I'm through with you. I want to know everything. How did you come across Elise? What is your relation to her?" I crossed my arms. "Haven't you asked her?" Devlin just stared me down gripping the back of the chair beside him as he stood tall. "You can tell me or I can have your legs broken. Your choice."

I raise my hands in mock surrender, "Don't misunderstand me. I am well aware of who is in charge. To my understanding it would only make the most sense that Elise being your fiancé- should be able to tell you everything shouldn't she?" I ceased my mocking tone to lower my arms before continuing, "It's as she said; our relationship was only business. It was my job to bring her to Fortre, and I chose to bring her to you." I emphasized, reminding myself as well. This was the man that I had brought her to, yet he worried about my relationship with her. From the tears I made her shed Devlin should have known that even had anything been between Elise and I, she now most certainly hated me.

Devlin just looked at me and looked me over. "It's come to my attention that her succubus side fades the light of her angel-as much as I'd like to dim her angel side entirely and let her succubus take over, I can't without harm coming to her; for now at least. Surely you knew this, yet she came here with her light brighter than ever and only you were traveling with her. So I ask again. What transpired?"

I took the liberty of crossing my arms across my chest once more. "Now that is a different question entirely. What happened between us and the nature of our relationship are completely different. Yes I kept her alive; but I wouldn't take advantage of a girl so naive. You can rest easy knowing that she came to you a virgin." I couldn't hide the bite in my tone, knowing he'd probably taken advantage of his share of woman and thought Elise just as easy. I didn't dare to think that he'd already taken her too.

Devlin's eyes widened in surprise and then glared instantly. "And how would you know that?" I tried to hide my smile "Because I was her first kiss. Surely she told you of that? She, as you know, needs intimate life force and kissing was the- mildest action that would suffice to keep her alive. Don't tell me that an incubus such as yourself would have double standards for his succubus fiancé?"

Devlin was quick to add his rebuttal, "As a succubus she can have whomever she needs to feed on, soon it won't matter after the engagement party. However-" I could feel the energy of his inner flame radiating off of him as he glared me down, "I don't want you anywhere near her from this point on- regardless of orders given to you. I don't want her to be stained by a leech." So much loathing dripped from his words. Clearly he had some issues he needed to work out and was pinning it entirely on me. I chose my next words carefully "Begging your pardon, young lord. But despite your order, I'm afraid I will have to decline. My contract is under your father's grasp, not yours. Therefore it is under his jurisdiction of which I will respond."