Beauty Marked Part 31

She had fought against me to get out of my grip. I said nothing as I saw the hurt in her eyes. The betrayal that showed on her face maring her flawless skin with wrinkles of distraught. I did not move; wary of those around me. Any slight sign that she meant anything to me, and they could use her against me. I could see the tears forming, ready to stain her cheeks. I’d made her cry.

I had always been in this to finish it until the very end. But I never intended to get emotionally involved, or for her to for that matter. She would understand soon enough though that what I did was in her best interest. She would gain nothing being with me and certainly being with the marked lord out of anyone else; she could find some happiness. No doubt this Arid person may already be aware of everything she wanted to know and more. But regardless of everything I told myself: that it was all worth it for her and for myself, that things were better this way...none of that stopped my shock.

“Please, just don’t kill him.” For the first time in my life alone, there was a person who begged for my life. Elise, who saw me as betraying her, very well should have wanted me dead. However, she was the only person standing in the room who probably didn’t, myself included. The lord appeased her by saying he’d grant my life, but I knew it wouldn’t be that easy. She looked at me leaving the room, her fiance Devlin coming near her as a comfort of sorts. Though it was clear that she was anything but comforted. The despair I saw tugged at my heartstrings in a way I didn’t expect. However, I was trained for this. I showed no emotion. I couldn’t or this very well could all have been for nothing. Once she was gone I was able to strengthen my focus. The lord and all of his guards around me, including the ones still holding me, gave me all their attention. The thugs holding me a touch tighter.

“She seems to care a lot for you to want to save your pitiful life.” Lord Andros chided. Devlin sneered at me and stepped forward. “What did you do with her?” assuming the worst. Ah, a jealous type. I smirked, “That’s a bit of a personal question don’t you think?” Devlin grunted heavily and walked forward, his hands on fire once more unable of controlling his rage. Bingo. The guards on me held me in place for him. “Cease!” Lord Andros called out. Seemingly aware of what his son had just done for me.

Devlin waved the fire off his hand breathing heavily, “Why should I? This bastard deserves to die and we all know it.” Lord andros stood and stepped down the steps towards me, past Devlin. “You would disregard a promise made to lady? That of your own fiance’ even?” Devlin said nothing in response but the look in his eyes had me curious, as if Andros mentioning Elise as his fiance wasn’t expected. Devlin bowed his head acknowledging the lecture his dear ol’ dad was giving him. That’s all Lord Andros was to me at the moment, a disgruntled father.

Lord Andros continued, this time to me, “I did say I’d keep you alive...but just barely.” I said nothing, keeping my confidence on as much as I dared. The Lord seems amused by it as he continued, “You tell me where your father and his little underlings are… and I might think about letting you keep your legs.” Anger seeped into my very being, my training of hiding emotion becoming useless. I couldn’t bare Lord Andros pairing me up with him. “I don’t know, and I don’t care! You can torture me day and night if you want but I can’t tell you what I don’t know, if I could- I would!”

Devlin crossed his arms, looking me over and deeply analyzed me after my personal question comment I’d said earlier, seemingly unimpressed with whatever he saw of me. Lord Andros paid no heed to his son, but looked only at me. “I see, you would -would you? Tell me, does Lady Elise know about you? What you truly are? Masquerading as a marked to lead her around wherever you pleased all the way here. And who knows what else you got her to do, she seems quite smitten with you.” Just as I had regained my shell devoid of emotion, I struggled to keep my face emotionless when she was mentioned, not knowing where he was going with this.