13. Fastforward

"Ever, can you pass me the hairspray?"

I plucked the can off the dressing room table and tossed it a few chairs down to Coral, who was pinning snowflakes into her hair. Then I turned back to my own mirror to stick on my fake eyelashes.

The last few months had flown by. Between Nutcracker rehearsals and classes, I'd been too busy to get too involved in the drama. It was a nice change—I was starting to think that maybe Paige and her minions would finally leave me alone. At least I didn't have to worry about being harassed in the dressing room anymore.

Now it was dress rehearsal for Nutcracker, and that freaked me out. It meant show day was tomorrow. It meant the curtain would go up for my first time as an Ambler student. I desperately wanted to impress Mrs. Princeton so she'd consider me for a role in the spring show. I wanted to show Mom and Dad that they'd made the right decision letting me join a more serious studio. But most of all, cheesy as it was, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this. I was capable of dancing with Paige and Riley and everyone else. I was just as good as they were.

My eyelashes were done. I blinked a few times in the mirror and moved on to blush, patting it onto my big fluffy makeup brush. Coral passed the hairspray to Becca, and when she spritzed it on her bun some of it misted into my half-open mouth. I pursed my lips at the sour tang.

The show hadn't even started yet, so I had plenty of time before I was due in the wings. Even though it was peaceful in my dressing room with the rest of the Flowers and Snowflakes, I wanted to explore the rest of backstage. I'd heard Paige had a private dressing room. Maybe it was a rumor, but if it was true it meant her already giant head would inflate even more.

I set down my makeup brush and sucked in my cheeks to admire my handiwork. Good enough. Zoe's makeup lessons had helped me tons, but I still wasn't a pro. Stage makeup looked funny on me.

As everyone else kept chatting, I slipped out of the dressing room and into the open white hallway. My makeup and hair was done, and I'd already warmed up with the rest of the cast this morning. I had tons of time to kill before I slipped into my costume.

Backstage was a maze—the auditorium was massive, and the labyrinth beneath matched the size. I took a few turns, passing rows of dressing rooms with names taped onto them. Lauren, Jordyn, and Summer were all sharing a room with a few other dancers, and the door was propped open to show them touching up their makeup. Lauren's hair was already in a beautiful French twist.

"Ever?"

Shoot. They'd seen me. And even though Summer smiled when she said it, she couldn't possibly be happy I was here.

"Hey," I said, crossing my arms. A group of angels cut parted around me to keep walking down the hallway.

"Come on in."

This had to be a trap. There was no chance they'd let me in their dressing room just because. I wasn't their friend—that much hadn't changed no matter how much time had passed.

Still, I stepped inside and took an empty chair near Lauren, who was the least likely to bite. She slipped in a final bobby pin and said, "Jordyn, we've only got ten minutes before we walk. Is your makeup done?"

Jordyn set down her powder brush and rolled her eyes. "I'll be ready Laur. Geez. Calm down. It's only dress rehearsal."

I leaned back in my chair and rubbed at the scuffed-up satin on the bottom of my pointe shoe. Most of the Level 8 girls had parts as party guests in addition to their Act II parts, so they were some of the first people onstage. I was the exception, and Jordyn had made sure to rub that one in my face.