11. Over It

Monday evening found me stretching inside Studio C, trying to ignore everybody else.

We had about twenty minutes to go until our regular technique class started. Paige sat in her usual huddle with Lauren, Jordyn, and Summer, all in impressive stretches. They looked like they were showing off more than warming up for class. A few feet away, Becca, Coral, and Finn chatted. I probably could have sidled into their group but wasn't in the mood for conversation. Plus, the closer I got to them, the closer I got to Paige.

Instead, I had one leg up on a barre along the wall, stretching out my hamstrings. My forehead pressed against my shin and I focused on feeling the gentle burn instead of what people around me were saying.

The studio door opened and Riley stepped inside. Paige called him over and he took his normal spot at her left, slipping on his black shoes. I looked away and pressed harder into the stretch.

I still didn't really know what to think of what happened this morning. Not the part where Paige snapped at me—that was typical—but her involvement with Carter. He could easily just be a friend, or it could be something else. The fact that he didn't even know who Riley was implied the latter.

But how could I use it against her? If she'd cared about Riley finding out she probably wouldn't have dragged Carter over to introduce him. Unless she was just showing off—her pride probably would be her eventual downfall. But if I told Riley, would she just dig up dirt on me? Did I want to start another fight?

Paige laughed at something Riley said and I dared another glance their way. She was leaning into him, simultaneously tying her pointe shoes. I switched legs, swinging the other one up on the barre, and reversed my stretch. Images of Riley on Saturday flooded back into my head: Riley on the bench talking to me, how he'd smiled at me, how his eyes had been so intense; Riley dancing, then Riley walking off with Paige...

I grabbed the arch of my foot and extended my leg in front of me. This was ridiculous. I shouldn't be trying to plot how to take Paige down and snag Riley. I should be focused on my dancing, especially because I'd failed the all-cast rehearsal. Drama—and boys—could wait.

That mindset lasted all of five minutes. But even though the whispers and giggles were on the other side of the room, it sounded like they were being broadcasted right in my ear with a megaphone. They were all I could think about. What if Paige was badmouthing me? What if they were making fun of me again? And she was flirting with Riley—she had to stop that. It literally sickened me.

I dropped my leg from the barre and turned towards them. None of them even lifted their heads. Then I crossed the room, passing Becca, Finn, and Coral as if I was going to sit by them. Still nothing. Then—deep breath—I passed the circle of friendly people and went into the Danger Zone.

Paige's eyes snapped in my direction the second I stepped across the imaginary threshold that separated her circle from the other one. They followed me as I kept walking towards her. Deep breath in, and out. I'd look stupid if I ran away now. I had to follow through.

Confidence. I remembered what Riley told me Saturday. Lifting my chin higher, I sat down right between her and Riley. She scooted away in disgust but Riley didn't move, his already large eyes growing wider.

"Can I help you?" asked Paige, sliding out of her split and crossing her arms.

One more deep breath. "Actually, you can."

"No problem! What part of the choreography are you having trouble with? I danced Snow and Flowers a couple years ago—I can give you tips."

My stomach flipped as Jordyn, and Summer giggled. Lauren's soft eyes dropped to the floor as her lips tucked down into a frown. Hello, potential ally. If I could get her and Riley on my side, it'd be a fair fight.