Chapter 9: Old Friends

EDITED

We walked into their living room and we all sat down.

"So, Em, why are you here?" Vic asked. I took a shaky breath in and let it out. I looked at him with tears in my eyes.

"Um, well....... You see......." I stumbled over my words. How can I tell them my parents are died? A tear fell and I wiped it away. "My parents are dead," I whispered. I looked up and saw Uncle William and Aunt Lucy with tears in their eyes.

"How?" Uncle William whispered. I looked down again.

"It was my fault," I whispered. "Well, um, Mom and Dad wanted to talk to me so we took a walk in the woods. A couple minutes later we heard a twig snap. Mom and Dad growled a warning and put me behind them," I said as tears ran down my face just thinking about the memories.

"Next thing you know; we are surrounded by people with guns. I didn't understand at the time but now I do. Mom and Dad shifted to protect me and they told me to run. The people attacked them and I stumbled away. I saw the hunters shoot them. I saw them they take their last breath. I did nothing. I was frozen in place. I couldn't move. I didn't make the scream. Mom did. She screamed at me to run, to save myself. They told me to go get help. But did I do any of that? No. I stood there, frozen. I feel guilty even today," By the time I was done, I was bawling my eyes out, again.

Vic pulled me into a hug and I cried into his chest. "Ever since that day," I continued. "I have been abused, tortured, and bullied." Once I said that, Vic growled. I smiled at him and continued. "I had my best-" I stopped myself before saying it and corrected myself. "My ex-best friend there with me. Finally, on our 16th birthday we found our mates, we were so happy. That is until our mates rejected us," I said and Vic growled.

"That....That......Jerk!" He finally yelled after I gave him a pointed look. He stood up and started pacing.

"Vic, calm down," I said. He shook his head and continued to pace back and forth. I stood up and touched his arm.

I heard a growl rip through the air and turned around to see a girl with orange hair and brown eyes.

Her eyes were focused on my hand that was on Vic's arm so I quickly removed my hand.

"Jasmine what are you doing here?" Vic asked. So this is Jasmine. Nice Vic, nice. I decided to have a little fun with this.

"So this is Jasmine?" I asked Vic. He smiled and nodded. I turned to her and smiled. "I am so sorry," I asked. Confusion crossed her face.

"Emma," Vic hissed. "What are you doing?" He asked. I smirked at him and turned back to Jasmine. "Oh-no," He muttered.

"Why are you sorry?" She asked. I smiled at her.

"Because you have this baboon as a mate. You are so beautiful and he is, him," I said. Vic growled and I laughed. "Is he treating you right? Does he still sing in the shower? I remember when I was at their old pack house at a play date with him when I was 6 and he was 8. He had to go take a shower and I was waiting in his room so we could play hide-in-go-seek and he started singing," Vic groaned. "It was so horrible!" I laughed.

"Will you shut up?!" Vic asked. I just smiled innocently at him. "Em, don't." He warned making me smile bigger. Just like old times. All we need is for Vic to chase me and then tickle me until I say the 'magic words.'

"And he used to-" before I could finish the sentence, Vic started chasing me. I was laughing and running around. Uncle William and Aunt Lucy were laughing on the couch at us and Jasmine even cracked a smile.