Intermission

Hey! It's time to go out to the lobby and grab a bucket of popcorn! The second half of our feature is about to begin!

In any story where cultures differ significantly from our own, it sometimes becomes difficult to keep the characters, places, and terms from jumbling together into an incomprehensible blob. This problem is further exacerbated by the wattpad format-you know, where you wait for a week or more for the next installment and have read ten other stories in the meantime. Normally, when you read a story in large blocks, this is not a problem, but here in wattpadlandia, it is.

I doubt I am alone in that frustration.

As such, I noticed there are quite a few characters and places and do-hickeys that might need to be identified in Derelict. Hopefully, this brief interlude will not disrupt the narrative flow to the point where you feel compelled to send me one scathing missive after another. My tender psyche cannot withstand it!

Cast of Characters - Near Present Day

Bobby - Mason's son.

Jason - Another survivor of the alien invasion of 2019. He joins with Bryan Mitchell as a member of the Resistance until his untimely demise.

Lt. Bryan Mitchell - One of the survivors of the alien invasion of 2019. He believes himself to be the sole surviving member of the United States Air Force, stationed out of Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, USA. He burns with a desire to rid the world of the aliens at all costs but feels isolated and sometimes frustrated.

Mason - Former manager of the First National Bank in Cairo, Illinois, USA. He agrees to store in the bank's safe those mysterious crates Bryan had been hauling about and eventually becomes Bryan's ally

(There are other characters coming, soon. I want to reserve this space for them. So check back later!)

Cast of Characters - 600 A.D. (After Departure)

Bono - Father of Bryant and Cabot. He is Caddo's eyes and ears in the Griff camp and was assigned to protect Wyatt from abuse during Caddo's absence. Unfortunately, those plans didn't work out quite as expected.

Boss (Elgee) - The arrogant, lazy shopkeeper who was living a life of luxury in Chicago until his father died (or was murdered, depending on who you might ask) and was forced to move to Cairo to maintain the family business. Nothing has turned out quite how he had hoped and he vents his frustrations on anybody nearby, primarily Specks. He is a thoroughly disagreeable man.

Bryant - He is the son of Bono. He's probably about ten or eleven, and the target of merciless teasing from his older brother. He constantly fights to prove he is not "a baby" and strives to act like an adult.

Cabot - Bryant's older brother, probably about thirteen years old. He torments his younger brother relentlessly, as brothers across time and space are wont to do.

Caddo - The one time Tourinar of the Griff Clan, he is presently the Chief Trader of the Rama who deals and coordinates with the Outlanders in all matters of trade. Caddo has some mystery surrounding him and appears to be a rather complicated dude. When he speaks, he tailors his manner of speech to the person he is talking to. He is tough and weathered but prefers-thus far-to use his brain over his brawn. He is driven by a strong moral code but says little about it and wants nothing more than to drive the remaining aliens from our world to reclaim and restore it.

Gilmer - A sycophant's sycophant. He is everything Kemp is, just worse. He holds no official position in the Griff clan, unless "suck-up" is one.