Chapter 23

Not Edited

Gusty wind billowed his robe as he watches palace maidens, officials and eunuchs alike run into buildings and pavilions to shield themselves of the pouring monsoon rain. From a vantage point, he could see all of the Isfahan palace and beyond the walls.

Perks for being him. Not very many were fortunate enough to witness such splendid view. Still, his station and standing handed it to him on a silver platter or so many would presume. Piercing gaze seemed focused on something yet nothing.

His shiny black hair looked unruly in the chaos without his jewelled turban on. Yet he still looked imposing and graceful dressed in pristine white garment that beheld his position as always.

Not even the unfortunate mischievous weather could take away from his elegant overwhelming visage.

As usual his mind was in a constant battle with itself. Planning and scheming his next political move. This being his favourite pass time lately.

He has for a while now resigned himself to his fate and secretly drew the battle line without making any obvious political move.

He had his key players set in place within and around the palace with him being the main player.

With only his head eunuch Aref for company, he enjoyed the blissful quietness that beckons him over. Though the constant pelting of rain on the roof was music to his ears.

It was the only joy that came with the rain. He obviously didn't like getting drenched in it but he loved the sound.

The clearing of throat broke him out of his reverie. "What is it Aref?" He barks with undisguised irritation.

"Her highness has sent a palace maiden requesting your presence in her bedchamber." Aref carefully replies not wanting to be 'on the receiving end' of his wrath.

"An order from the birthing office I am afraid your highness." He quickly adds licking his dried lips as he gulps loudly. Aref did not fail to once again notice his stiffened shoulders. He hated being the bearer of such cringe worthy news.

"Another waste of effort and time I could spend doing something productive and effectual." He lowly growls. Leaning over the protective banister, his brows knitting furiously.

"The sooner they realise she is infertile, the better for everyone of us associated with her." He smirks with his back to Aref. "Fools! The lot of them." He bitterly concludes.

"Should I send a message to her highness's pavilion informing her of your impending arrival tonight then?" Aref asked. Already aware of the answer to his query yet needing a confirmation.

"For how long this time around do I have to put on a brave face whilst they torment me?" Was all the confirmation eunuch Aref could get.

It was no secret to Aref that he found the involvement and procedures of the birthing office intrusive and sacrilegious. "A day perhaps? Weeks? Or maybe months?" He asked in a sarcastic tone breathing in sharply.

It's been nine years since their nikha and four years since they first consummated their relationship yet there hasn't been any good news. Everyone around them was becoming more anxious with some hush voices demanding that he took in another concubine.

Princess Ladan already has a son and a daughter with her pregnant once again. Prince Nouri had a little princess and was out there traveling and seeing the world. But here he remains in the confines of the palace futilely waiting.

"Forgive your unworthy servant your highness for I cannot take away this hefty burden you bear." He answers with a dejected sigh. "The officials are already lining up at her majesty's pavilion wanting their daughters as your concubine."