Chapter 19

Not Edited

Fishes swam to the surface of the pond as prince Arsham fed them. With hot and humid air billowing his robe, it was an oasis of serenity amid-st the bustling around the estate as servants worked tirelessly around them.

The magnificent sight of the sunset blanketing the sky made a bedazzling picture.

The servants had all come out to welcome them upon their arrival at their mother's private estate.

The newly acquired helps gawked openly at them. They had only been hired days earlier to assist when the royal in-laws from Hindustan arrives. It was deemed an honour to see one of such standing and the future king of Persia at that.

They had been well informed of what was acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. They knew the preference of hindus when it came to their food of choice to be vegetarian dishes. So there were assortment of vegetables out in the courtyard.

No expense was spared and nothing was overlooked under the watchful eyes of the head butler. He has served queen Omeed's estate for almost two decades and ran it with an iron fist.

Prince Nouri stared at his older brother. He could tell something beyond his marital troubles plagued his mind. "Now what troubles you brother?" He questions offhandedly in a hush tone cautious of those around them.

"Nothing brother, nothing at all." Prince Arsham smoothly lies.

"Do not make it an habit to lie to me brother because when it becomes an habit you won't be hurting just yourself but me as well." Prince Nouri grits out carfully so no one hears them before storming off to his appointed bedchamber.

Prince Arsham felt a wave of disappointment in himself as he watches his twin walk away from him.

How was he suppose to talk to his brother and share his feelings when he wasn't quite sure of what exactly he felt. How does he tell his brother of the feelings he had for that little low-born waif he left behind whom he continually thought of.

Or the feelings his sister-in-law stirred in him when he had only been in her presence for a short while? "Is this lust?" He questions himself quietly. "Is this what they speak of? Am I being lustful?" Her memories made him restless.

Prince Arsham was a confused young man and with it came ungodly feelings that irked and troubled him immensely. Speaking about them would make them a reality and that was something he couldn't afford not only as a Persian heir but as a religious young man.

He thought it shameful and a sin to wish he had been married to his sister-in-law rather than the wife lawfully joined to him even though he despised her very being. With that he retired for the night not bothering with his evening meal for fear of looking into the eyes of his twin.

With his brother making conscious effort to avoid him all morning as he waits with the rest of the household outside on the courtyard for their uncle's and relatives impending arrival, prince Nouri scoffs in jest. "Fetch my brother quickly!" He orders. "I can hear them drawing nearer." He finishes.

Prince Arsham arrives moments later dressed in pristine white garments and turban looking as serene as always. "As- Salaam- Ailaikum brother." He greets prince Nouri who responds gruffly without sparing him a glance.

"Come on brother, do not disregard my presence." He says solemnly as he swallows hard. "I have kept nothing from you until now. Please do not let me speak of that which I fear to speak of. That which I am ashamed to mention."

Hearing the crack in his voice and the foreign glint his eyes held, prince Nouri chuckled. He saw the strain not having or being able to share his secret was taking on his brother. He briefly wondered the enormity of the secret.