Chapter Fifteen

“Alex? Is that you?” I looked at the familiar face but it wasn’t who I wanted it to be.  I repeated myself several times…just in case but it was hopeless, the monster had completely taken over Alex.  When the streams of tears started to fall from my eyes, a sudden swift movement brushed the tears away into the air. My body flew and landed onto my back on the floor and started sliding towards Selena but then was forcefully stopped by the zombie-fied Alex. 

Its groggy hand wrapped and pulled my arm as my body just lifted in one movement.  I face planted into its chest, cringing at the new injury on my back.  I knew what was going to come, it was going to be more pain and I was now unsure whether I could even stay awake. The will to fight is long gone and nowhere to be found. 

The creature took ahold of my shoulders with both of its hands.  My head dangled all over the place as my eyes frequently closed but they didn’t want to drift off, just yet.  A sudden growl came from the creature before it buried its teeth into my skin on my shoulder. A cry of anguish was torn from my lips.  As my cry became louder and louder, Selena started to scream, it sounded like she was crying but there was someone else there, it was probably Jeremy trying to calm her down.  Blood started to drip down my arm from its mouth as the teeth dug and latched on and ripped away my skin.  My body became numb as it fell effortless back onto the floor as the monster stood, with my blood all covered around its mouth.  I stared towards the ceiling with no emotion.  Everything was numb, it all started to go black.  This was it.  This was the end.  The blackness was going to be my new life.  My eyes started to shut as the black was nearly all I could see, the ceiling was disappearing but then appeared again. 

I realized my eyes were open as I could see the ceiling again.  I tilted my head backwards to see Jeremy holding Selena back from moving towards me.  He looked at her, then at me with concern for both of us.  Their mouths were moving but I couldn’t hear a thing.  I tried to find my voice to call out to them but only my mouth was moving as they couldn’t comprehend.  I relaxed my head and looked around to find the creature and I found it in an instant, it was standing at my feet, waiting for his prey to stand so he can play again.  I grunted as I sat up facing it then closed my eyes and attempted to stand.  I kept falling back onto my backside but on the fifth try, I successfully stood!

As soon as I was standing, my senses of sight and sound came back to me.  Selena was still shouting as her screams reached my ears.  I turned away from the monster as it just stood there, watching me.  The figure resembled Alex so much but the resemblance stopped at the eyes.  It wasn’t his usual soft brown eyes. I limped towards Jeremy and Selena as they watched me silently but then a growl escaped from my predator as I stopped quickly.  I turned to it and it still stood there, it made no movement.  It was clear, if I try to escape, it will kill me.  I knew there was no escape from this one or even a ray of hope.  I noticed the room was a lot brighter, I could see the entire alley if I squinted my eyes.  I looked around, trying to find anything that could help but all I could see were bowling balls, some cleaning liquid, some brooms and chairs but the brooms and chairs were with numerous creatures that stood motionless.  There was no way I was going anywhere near them and I don’t think the Alex look-a-like, would let me either. 

I stared at the numerous creatures that stood.   I tried to piece their story together as to why they were so still.  I came up with one conclusion and it was because they are waiting for a signal from their master even though the master was nowhere to be seen.  I had a feeling the signal won’t come anytime soon.  This was now my time to act, to protect and fight. 

The feeling of confidence struck me as my eyes glared at my opposition.  The adrenaline kicked in as my legs started to run towards the once was Alex and I threw my arm, fist pounded and was ready to hit.  An unexpected arm reached out in front of me and knocked me down to the floor in one hit.  I wringed my back against the floor trying to avoid the paid, to help, I immediately got up and stood straight.  The sudden force was the look-a-like again even though I was sure that I ran towards him.  I then figured he probably had super speed and just ran beside me and stopped me with his arm across the air forcing me back.

I sighed as my fight was going to be hopeless.  I could do nothing to it.  The creature was too strong for me.

“What’s taking you so long?!” A husky voice returned in the alley along with his rudeness.  I turned around to see Max standing beside Jeremy who was crouched over Selena who still stared at me with tears. All three then stared at me as Max then figured out my situation, I forcefully let a smile out at them then sighed.  I slowly got back on my feet again, it took another struggle but I was standing again, still facing the monster.

“I’m not going to get away from here.” My voice croaked out as I said each word slowly for the three of them to understand.  I turned slowly to face them and grimaced when the pain would start to strike but I let it and kept turning.  I stopped when I was completely faced to them and had no idea what my predator would do when I'm completely blind.

“It wants me more than you.” The words came out much more clearly as all their frowns deepened.  Max nodded and agreed with me which is what I expected.  He would do anything to stay alive and I couldn’t blame him.  We all wanted to stay alive.

“No Rochelle! You are coming with us! We are not leaving you!” Selena shouted through her tears as my lips formed a smile as her eyes widened.  She shook her head numerously disagreeing with my smile and what it meant.

“This is the only way Selena.  For you guys to escape successfully, it’s my time to go…I can join Alex.”

I smiled at the thought and started to tear up but my deep breath stopped it from falling.  Selena became silent and just stared at me along with Jeremy and Max whose frowns became empty.  I turned around to take a peek to see what my predator was up to but it still stood there motionless, just waiting.