Chapter 5

A/N: Thank you for all of your support on this story!! I'm sorry the updates are slow--as I've stated in my bio, Night is my main project, but I will be working on this as well, depending on how well it does. So remember, if you like this story, please vote/comment/share/add it to your lists!!
Also, just so you know, during this chapter I was literally DYING to just get right into the exciting parts but then I had to just keep reminding myself, character development and whatnot so yeah, it might feel a little slow. <3

[Unedited]

I was sitting at a fancy desk right outside of Mr. Salvatore's office. He had previously listed off a ridiculous amount of mundane tasks, like filing and phone calls. Though I was still furious over what had happened earlier, he wasn't worth my anger. Besides, I had come to the realization that I was still working at one of the most esteemed companies in the world. I would build up my resume and do the best with what I had.

After a few hours of excruciatingly boring paperwork, it was finally my lunch break. I noticed that Mr. Salvatore had left his office about an hour ago, not even sparing me a glance as he passed me by.

Nate had texted me earlier in the day to ask if I wanted to grab dinner later. Of course I agreed which meant I made it my goal to finish all of my work as early as possible so we could meet by 5:30. Mr. Salvatore had explained that on most nights I would be done by 5:30, which was a half hour later than I had been previously working. But as long as I finished everything just a half hour early, I should've been fine.

I opened my blue cloth bag sitting beside the desk and pulled out a sandwich bag with a cheese sandwich inside. I also had a small bag of crackers as well as a water bottle.
As I munched on my sandwich and began typing on the computer in front of me, I heard the ding of the elevator signifying that Mr. Salvatore had returned. Secretly, I had hoped something big had come up so that he would be gone all day. But I was shocked when upon glancing up for a second, I realized that he was not alone.

Following him as he left the elevator was a woman with beautiful almond colored hair and dark eyes. She held an air of prestige as she walked; her dainty hand was resting in the crook of Mr. Salvatore's arm and her shapely brows gave her an intimidating, aristocratic look. She was tall, probably standing around 5'10", and if I had known more about fashion, I probably would've recognized her from a catalogue or a billboard. She was carrying a few bags, all of which were advertising names of stores which I neither recognized nor knew how to pronounce.

Her eyes fell upon me immediately. "Jason, who is this?" She asked, her tone poised and conversational. Though it seemed silly, it was difficult to picture him having a first name. He was so cruel and horrible that I hadn't even thought about what his first name might be.

"My new assistant," he told her, guiding her toward me and toward his office which was behind me.

"Isn't she a bit young?" She asked, raising an eyebrow in humor.

"She's well-qualified," was all he said. Yeah, over-qualified, I thought.

"What's your name, darling?" She asked, and I tried not to let onto how surprised I was by the fact that she'd spoken to me.

"It's Lina," I told her softly, setting down my sandwich and standing up to shake her hand. But she just looked at my outstretched hand, moving her gaze up and down my body. I blushed, humiliated, and dropped my hand back down to my side.

"What's that you're wearing?" She asked, her voice sounding interested. But I could hear the condescension from a mile away. By the looks of it, this woman was a clothing connoisseur, and I most certainly was not.