Chapter 4

[Unedited]

"I have some exciting news for you this morning, girlie," Joe told me right as I arrived at 9. I'd been working at Salvatore Corps for a little less than a month and I loved it. Joe had me doing all kinds of artwork and advanced paperwork. He was really impressed with my work, which made me want to try even harder.

"What is it?" I took of my coat and set it on the back of my chair.

"You know that prototype you created a few days ago? For the sponsorship ad?" I nodded. "Well I showed it to the boss, that's how impressed I was."

"T-the boss?" I tried not to reveal anything. Is he talking about who I think he is?

"And not just another high-level manager. The boss boss. Mr. Salvatore himself. I happened to run into him yesterday and I couldn't help but to gush about you. And guess what?"

"What?" I asked in a small voice. I'd only seen Mr. Salvatore once since the time he lashed out at me in the hallway, during which he pretended not to know me. Or who knows, maybe he really didn't remember me. After all, he was that heartless.

"He wants to see your work, maybe work with you for a bit! He told me to send you up to his office today." He clapped his hands together. "I'm just so excited for you, girlie! Do you know what this means?! This has never happened for any other intern! He'll get to see all of your awesome work! He'll love you for sure," he told me.

I tried as hard as possible not to reveal the horror on my face. I really did. Joe was so excited and it was so sweet that he thought so highly of me. But unfortunately, I have a horrible pokerface.

"What's wrong?" His expression falls slightly. I debated whether or not to tell him anything. I was a very honest person, but could I really ruin this?

"Joe, do you know him?"

"Not at all. I've only spoken to him a few times before yesterday. Doesn't really say much. Oh and he hired me himself. I was one of the first employees at this location," Joe looked proud. "Why?"

This location? How many million dollar locations did he have?

I decided that I didn't want to tell Joe what happened. He was so happy about Mr. Salvatore wanting to see my work, and I didn't want to be ungrateful. Besides, even though the things he said to me were hurtful, it was weeks ago and he easily could have just been having a bad day. So I put on a fake smile and tried to act excited.

"I was just wondering. Thanks so much, Joe! You don't know how much this means to me." He was beaming again.

"You bet, girlie. Why don't you go on up now? Top floor," he told me.

"O-okay. So I'll see you later then?"

"Yup, whenever you're done," he answered happily. I forced another smile before grabbing my bag and heading out to the hallway. I took as much time as possible making my way to the elevator and then to the fifteenth floor.

I decided I would act pleasant. He was, after all, the owner of this company and I knew I had to be respectful.

There was only one room on the 15th floor. His office was huge-bigger than my entire apartment. He had a huge mahogany desk with neat piles of paperwork sitting on top. There was also a huge computer screen, and I wondered how much it must have cost. There were massive windows, overlooking the city, as well as various couches and side tables.

The office lacked any personality. Joe's office was decorated by frames of his wife, friends, and various family members. The closest thing Mr. Salvatore had to those was an elegant plant sitting in the corner of the room. The last thing I noticed was that Mr. Salvatore was nowhere to be seen.