Chapter 14: Thanks to Him

The pain in your chest is excruciating. Your heart is racing and your hands are clammy. You're also fairly sure the room is spinning. You're not on some form of drugs, are you? No, you don't think so. What the hell is happening to you anyway? Oh, that's right. Dave Strider is intoxicating. It should be illegal to be so attractive. He should do time in jail for being so close. You could die and you swear on your life he's so hot you're going to melt. Okay, you're definitely exaggerating now, but you're at least flustered. You're not used to being so close to others. Especially not when they're so drop dead gorgeous.
It doesn't even look like he put any effort into dressing up. His red and black flannel that's only buttoned half way and disheveled hair is proof enough, but you think that makes him even more attractive if possible. His arms are currently draped loosely around your waist just as yours are around his neck. He made sure to pick a slow song from one of the romcoms the two of you watched together. What a sly bastard. His gaze is fixed on you and you're trying not to stare at his eyes. There's a comfortable yet slightly awkward silence between you until Dave finally speaks up, "So did you and John have fun?"
You nod and rest your chin on his shoulder, "Yeah, it was a lot of fun actually."
He stays silent for a moment or two, "If we both would've asked you to be our date, who would you have chosen?"
"You of course," you mutter in his ear, wrapping your arms a little tighter around his neck.
"Really?" He sounds pleasantly surprised.
"Mhm. You're my best friend. John and I are just friends."
He pulls back to look you in the eye, "I thought you two were dating?"
You shake your head, knitting your eyebrows together, "You know I have rules about that."
His shoulders slump a little, "Oh. Yeah. That's right."
You bite your lip, asking hesitantly, "The time we hung out...a few weeks ago...did you mean all that stuff you said about me?"
He nods immediately, "Without a doubt."
Your ears lower as you continue, "Even the part where you pretty much said you love me...?"
His eyes widen a little, a light pink dusting his cheeks, "I uh..."
"Please be honest..."
Dave swallows thickly, resting his chin on the top of your head, "...Yeah. Yeah, I did. I said I meant every word without a doubt, didn't I?"
Your heart rate increases dramatically, "Dave-"
He shakes his head, pulling you closer, "I know...you have rules. I don't want you to hate me... I understand if you don't feel the same I'd just... I'd really prefer not to have to hear you say it, okay?"
"Dave. Look at me." You say a little more sternly. You feel him wince as he pulls back to look at you. Your breath catches in your throat at what you see.
He has tears in his eyes. The cool kid himself is on the verge of crying because he thinks you're going to reject him.
The sight makes you want to cry yourself. You wipe away his tears just as he'd done for you once before and stand on your tiptoes to kiss his cheek, "Dave..." You mutter in a soft voice so only he can hear, "Please don't cry..."
He laughs sadly, sniffling and shaking his head, "Who's crying? I'm not crying. These are tears of pure irony. Isn't this ironic?"
"Isn't what ironic?"
"A big tough jock like me getting all emotional and heartbroken."
Heartbroken? As he smiles back at you, you can see the pain in his eyes, and that tears it for you. You can't stand it anymore. All rationality is getting thrown out the window. You stand on your tiptoes and pull him closer. Closing your eyes, you press a firm, loving kiss to his lips. In that moment, the only thing that matters is that you're finally kissing the guy of your dreams. You've known for a few weeks now that you really like him. You're almost worried that you've done something wrong. You can feel him tense, as if trying to figure out what's happening. It doesn't take long for him to get the idea and return the kiss, his hands snaking around your waist as he tightens his grip and pulls you closer, the human smiling against your lips. When you finally part, his smile softens and his eyes fill with relief, "What about John?"
You scoff, wiping the tears from his cheeks, "You really think he holds a candle to you now?"
Dave rubs his eyes, "I would hope not."
"I'm confirming your hopes. He doesn't," You stop a moment and come to the realization that there's no sound whatsoever besides the music coming from the stereos. You slowly glance around and realize that every single eye is on the two of you. The song fades out and plunges the gym into complete and utter silence. You glance up at Dave to find that he's not paying anyone any mind. His focus is strictly on you. It's as if there's no one but the two of you. "D-Dave people are staring..."
He smiles a little, quirking an eyebrow, "Are you embarrassed?" You quickly shakes your head, "Then it's alright if I kiss you again?" You pause before nodding. He smiles a little wider and plants another sweet, gentle kiss to your lips. Dave breaks the kiss but doesn't pull away as he mutters, "I'm pretty sure I'm in love."
There are a few gasps and collective muttering. You know they're ready to tear him apart, so you come to his rescue, "I'm pretty sure I'm in love too, Strider. With the most insufferable prick in the world." Now there's full blown conversation, but you don't care. You spoke the truth and for the first time in a long time, you feel happy, and its all thanks to Dave Strider.