Chapter 9: A Slight Complication

Your first thought when you wake up the next morning is that you don't recall having six arms and legs. You may be an alien, but something is seriously wrong here. Your second thought is that you're an idiot and those limbs obviously don't belong to you. The light shining through the blinds burns your eyes as you open them a bit and glance around. Dirk is clinging to your back, his arms wrapped tightly around you, and you are clinging to Dave. You can't help but notice how peaceful and innocent he looks when he's asleep, almost like a child. Both of them do. They're sleeping so peacefully that you don't want to disturb them, so you simply lay there and purr, content with the warmth radiating from them.
Dave's hand reaches up and begins stroking your hair, making you tense. He smiles tiredly down at you, his beautiful ruby eyes half lidded. His voice is groggy and somewhat disoriented when he speaks, "Hey there, doll face. Looks like heaven's missing an angel this morning. You really do purr, huh?"
You flush as red as his eyes and shove him away, "F-Fuck off, idiot..."
"You know you'd miss me, Kitten~"
You growl, "Would I really?" Yes, you probably would. You're not going to tell him that though.
"Of course. Who's going to take you to breakfast this morning if I fuck off?" You blink, your stomach growling at the mention of food. Dave sniggers and growls back, "Yeah, I feel ya. I'm hungry, too. No need to growl at me man."
"Are you talking to my stomach?"
He rolls his eyes playfully, "No, I'm talking to Godzilla. He's totally just been hanging out outside your window this whole time. Maybe I'll fuck off and take him to breakfast with me," you frown and quickly look behind you, "Karks, are you seriously looking for Godzilla right now?"
"You just said he was there! Of course I'm gonna l-"
Dave quickly clamps a hand over your mouth and shushes you, "Dirk's still sleeping man."
You push his hand away and snap in a hushed voice, "Get your filthy hands away from my mouth."
"Like you'd have kept your mouth shut otherwise. Damn, he's got a good grip on you, man. Doesn't look like he's letting you go any time soon."
"But I'm hungry!"
"We'll just have to wait until he-"
You pry off Dirk's hands and push him off the bed before Dave can finish. Dirk yelps as he hits the floor and is on his feet in seconds, ready to beat the shit out of someone until his eyes land on you, "Oh c'mon dude what the hell?"
You shrug, "You wouldn't let go and I'm hungry. Besides, don't we have practice today?"
Dirk grimaces and nods, "Yeah. The band kids are going to be there. They need to practice half time with us."
"You can meet our cousins."
Dirk rolls his eyes, "He's already met Roxy."
Dave shrugs and slips on his shades, handing Dirk his, "Yeah, but he hasn't met Rose. Plus there's John and Jade."
You're overwhelmed by all these names, "Who?"
Dirk grabs his cheer uniform and begins changing as he briefly explains, "They're friends of Dave's. John is a real dorky kid. He and his sis Jade both have beaver teeth like you wouldn't believe. Then again, Jake does too and he's hella fine. He and John look kinda similar."
Karkat shrugs, "Yeah, he was pretty cute."
Dave shoots you a look, "He is not cute."
You stick out your tongue, "Maybe John is even cuter than Jake."
Dirk stuffs his clothes in his bag, "Maybe if you're into real dorky guys, yeah. He falls under the 'pretty-damn-adorkable' category."
Dave groans, "Can we just go to breakfast already?"
Dirk sniggers and jeers, "Why so jealous?"
"I'm not jealous," he snaps.
You chuckle and pat Dave's shoulder, standing and getting dressed yourself, "Sure you're not."
"I'm not jealous!"
Dirk snorts and shakes his head, tossing Dave his bag, "Just shut up and change, lover boy."
He groans and does as he's told. When he's finished, the trio heads down to the front door. Your step mother perks up from her spot on the couch in the living room, "Karkitten? Where are you boys going so early, and why are you dressed like that?"
You curse under your breath as the other two snigger, "Breakfast and then cheer practice."
She looks bewildered, "Cheer practice? Are you all cheerleaders...?"
Dave speaks up, "Im on the football team."
She looks relieved, "You know how your father and I feel about cross dressing... Maybe you should get Karkat into football-"
You narrow your eyes at her, "I enjoy being a cheerleader. Now if you'll excuse me, were going to be late," before she can say another word, you grab the twins by their hands and drag them outside. You slam the door shut behind you and immediately go off, "Can you fucking believe her?! This is the shit I deal with! No cross dressing. No drugs or drinking. No sex until we're married. No swearing. Church every Sunday and every day we're able. The list goes on and on! I'm supposed to be asleep by 9:30 every night!"
Dirk snorts, "Really?"
"Yes! This is bullshit!"
"It sounds like it. You're not even allowed to do drugs."
You snarl, "You know what I fucking meant."
They listen to your melancholy whining about your household all the way to the gas station. It was too late to go sit down and get breakfast at the diner, so you settle on donuts and chocolate milk instead. When you finally arrive at the field. The team is stretching on the sidelines, the squad is in a small circle whispering, most likely on the latest gossip, and the band is goofing off and playing notes out of tune. Overall, it's a cluster fuck. You already want to go home.
Dave and Dirk lead you over to a small group of saxophones, Dave tapping one of the raven haired guys on the shoulder. He turns around and flashes dave a buck-toothed grin, "Hey Dave. Hey Dirk," his gaze falls on you and you freeze. You'd originally been joking when you said this guy would probably be hotter than Jake. It may have been an overstatement, but this guy was definitely cute. The two of you stare at each other a moment, blue eyes meeting yellow, before he smiles a little. It's softer this time, and he speaks to you as if the other two aren't there, "Uh, hi. You must be Karkat, right? The new guy?" You can't find anything to say, so you simply nod, "Im John. It's nice to meet you, Karkat," he holds his hand out to you and you hesitantly shake it, lingering a moment before letting go.
Dave clears his throat, a hint of irritation in his voice, "John hangs out with me a lot. We've been pretty close for a while now."
John's face lights up, "Hey, if you're hanging out with Dave, that means we'll be seeing each other quite a bit, huh?"
You nod again, cracking a small smile, "Y-Yeah. I guess so..." Did you just stutter? Pull yourself together already! What's the matter with you today?!
The drum major blows the whistle for the band to get into formation and he sighs, his smile now sad and wistful, "I should get going. Maybe we can talk after practice or something?"
"Sure. I think I can fit you into my schedule. I'm a pretty busy guy."
He chuckles a little at that, "Sweet. See ya, Karkat! Bye Dave! Bye Dirk!" He smiles and waves, turning and running onto the field.
You know you're staring after him, and for a second, you can't bring yourself to care. Your heart was doing weird things in your chest, just like it did with-
...Dave.
Your face heats and you glance up at him. Dirk chuckles and mutters, "Busted..."
Dave crosses his arms across his chest, "Wow, Vantas. You were practically fucking him with your eyes."
You blush a bright red and stammer, "I-I was not!"
He rolls his eyes and pushes up his shades, "Whatever you have to tell yourself," he puts on his helmet and turns, walking over to the team. Your heart breaks as he leaves and you feel a wave of guilt wash over you, but you didn't have anything to be guilty for.
...did you?