Chapter 10: Cuts Like A Knife

Dave doesn't even look at you all through practice and it makes you feel like shit. What's his problem anyways? It's not like you two are together or anything.
Would I immediately ruin our friendship if I said that I'm already waiting for that day?
Fuck, he did say that, didn't he? He couldn't really like you that way, right? Either way, he should know that you wouldn't do anything. You have a policy and you're sticking to it. You don't even know this John guy yet anyway.
When practice comes to a close, Dirk has to physically stop Dave from leaving without you. You'll admit it stings, but you're glad he reluctantly waits. You're about to head over to the pair when you feel a hand on your wrist. Turning around, you come face to face with John. You can practically feel Dave shooting daggers at you as John begins talking, "Hey. You guys were really good out there."
You flush a light pink, tugging your shorts down self consciously, "Yeah, I guess we were alright..."
He grabs your wrist again, stopping you from tugging at your shorts and smiles softly, "You look fine. I was actually wondering if you were free on Sunday and if you wanted to hang out?"
Your ears lower in embarrassment, "Oh. Uh, sure."
He frowns a little, "I don't want you to feel obligated-"
"No, I want to. I'd love to," you say quickly, cutting him off.
He pauses a moment before chuckling, "Alright. Here," he pulls a pen from his bag and writes his phone number on your hand, capping it and returning it to it's rightful spot, "Text me and I'll let you know what time," You nod slowly and he flashes you a bright smile, "Then I'll see you at school. See ya, Karkat!"
You watch him walk away before making your way over to Dave and Dirk, the former looking pissed, "Remind me why I waited again?" He snaps at Dirk, turning and heading down the sidewalk. You frown and run over, grabbing his shoulder and spinning him around, "What?"
You snarl and snap back, "What the hell is wrong with you?!"
"What's wrong with you?! God that was the most pathetic display I've ever seen. You were practically drooling all over each other! It really was love at first sight, wasn't it?"
"What the fuck would you know about love?!"
"Nothing obviously! It looks as though I have the most piss poor taste when falling for someone!"
"Maybe they're just too good for you, fuckface!"
His expression shifts momentarily and you know you've struck a nerve, "Yep! He's waaaay out of my league! And he's totally into someone else!"
You stop, your scowl immediately falling, "...he?"
Dave blinks, realization slowly dawning on him. He looks as though he's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, "Huh? N-No. I said she."
You slowly shake your head, "No, you said he..." Pausing a moment, you frown, "...it's John, isn't it?"
He gives you a panicked look and quickly shakes his head, "No no no! It's not John I swear to god!" A few of the football players must've caught wind of your conversation because that's when the jeers and insults came hurdling towards him.
"Oh my god. Strider's gay?"
"You mean he's into that dorky band kid?"
"What a fucking fag!"
"Last thing I want is some fruit watching me change in the locker rooms."
"I don't want a queer on my team."
The insults continue, getting harsher and harsher with each passing second until Dave breaks. You can see it in his eyes. He rips himself from your grasp, throws his bag at Dirk, and takes off in the direction of his apartment. Dirk gives you a sad look before following after Dave, and suddenly you feel like shit. Complete and utter shit. You probably just cost him everything, but that doesn't mean you can't make it right now.
You turn to the assholes who were trash talking Dave and snap, venom in your words, "Hey! Where the hell do you get off treating him like that? How long have you been friends with him to go and talk all that shit on him? Huh? He's your captain. You don't even know whether he's really gay or not! Do you?!" They quickly shake their heads, looking startled and muttering to each other, "That's what I thought," you turn on your heel and head home. Dave probably hates you now. You'll apologize after everything simmers down. You both need time to think, you especially. Dave's one of your friends now. You didn't mean to hurt him. Hell, you don't even know why you said most of that shit, but for some reason, there's a part of you that found what you said to be true. The very thought of Dave being in love with John made your blood boil. John's a nice, cute guy and you're sure he'd treat Dave well, but you don't think they'd be right for each other. All the romcoms would say they're a perfect match, but you refuse to believe it. You don't want to.
When you get home, you go straight to your room and sit at your computer. You know you said you would wait, but you log onto Trollian anyways and stare at Dave's handle. You got it from Dirk a few days ago but you haven't messaged him even once. Instead, you glance at John's number on your hand. You don't have a phone, at least not one you use often, so you look up John's handle using his phone number. With a hesitant clink on his name, you begin to type.
--carcinoGenicist [CG] began trolling ectoBiologist [EB] at 15:47--
CG: UH HEY
CG: IM SURE YOU PROBABLY ALREADY FORGET WHO I AM AND I PROBABLY LOOK LIKE A MAJOR CREEP FINDING YOU ON HERE
CG: ITS JUST I DONT USE MY PHONE A LOT BUT UM
EB: oh! hey karkat!
EB: eager to talk to me so soon, huh? :B
CG: OF COURSE NOT!
CG: I JUST UH...
CG: I KINDA FUCKED UP AND WAS LOOKING FOR A DISTRACTION. JUST SO I CAN THINK.
EB: what did you do?
You hesitate before explaining the situation with Dave.
EB: oh...
EB: if that's true then i guess i don't really know what to say!
EB: i mean sure dave is my bro and all but...
EB: i guess i just don't have those feelings for him?
CG: HONESTLY, I DONT THINK HE DOES EITHER BUT ITS DEFINITELY A GUY.
EB: did you ever consider the possibility that maybe it's you?
You flush, staring at the screen. No, surely Dave didn't mean you, and you tell him exactly that.
EB: well, why don't you ask him then?
EB: maybe not outright but...
EB: i mean eventually.
EB: maybe apologize and ask him to hang out or something.
EB: i'll be right here waiting for you to tell me what he says! :B
CG: I GUESS THAT COULD WORK... ALRIGHT, STAND BY.
EB: can do!
And with that, you open up a chat with Dave and begin to type.

~Author's Note~
Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I've been sick and way behind in school and tbh haven't had motivation this chapter. I'm not quitting my ADHD just gets in the way sometimes. Thanks for being so patient with me though. The second chapter of Kill Me Romantically should be coming out in a few days at least I hope so if you're enjoying this you'd probably enjoy that as well. So yeah. As always I hope you enjoyed. Sorry if shits getting a little lazy the next few chapters. I'm just not as on task. I'll step up my game and see you all in the next chapter. Bye!
~L3X1B1RD~