Chapter 11: Blessings In Disguise

carcinoGenicist [CG] began pestering turntechGodhead [TG] at 16:04

CG: HEY DAVE.

CG: LISTEN I'M SO SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED EARLIER.

CG: I DIDN'T MEAN TO BE A DOUCHE...

CG: IF IT HELPS I TOLD THOSE GUYS OFF...

You stare at the screen, waiting for a response for at least five minutes. You're about to throw in the towel when you finally get a message from him.

TG: hey

TG: look dont even worry about it man its just...

TG: you dont ACTUALLY think i have the hots for egderp right?

TG: i mean hes a cool guy and all but

TG: tbh hes definitely not giving me any raging boners any time soon

You sigh in relief, thankful to be in his good graces once again.

CG: FIRST OF ALL, YOU'RE DISGUSTING. I DON'T NEED TO KNOW NOR DO I CARE ABOUT WHAT GIVES YOU "RAGING HUMAN BONERS".

CG: THAT BEING SAID...

CG: I REALLY MISSED YOU. AND I'M GLAD WE'RE OKAY.

TG: what?

TG: you think were all chill just like that?

TG: no fucking way man

Your heart plummets into your stomach until you read his next message.

TG: not until you get that vantass over to my place stat with fresh baked apology cookies and a gallon of aj

You sigh in relief.

CG: DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE. ILL BE OVER SOON.

CG: ASSHOLE [:B

You log out with a smile, taking the steps two at a time and heading to the kitchen where your step mother is making dinner, "Hey," you mutter awkwardly.

She turns back to you and smiles, "Hello, kitten~! What can I do for you?"

You hesitate and mentally prepare yourself for the reaction you're about to receive, "Mom...can you help me bake some cookies?"

~

An hour, two dozen cookies, and the biggest bottle of apple juice you could find later, you were standing at Dave's door. Your step mother had been ecstatic to help you. Especially because that was the first time you've ever called her mom. You digress. You knock at Dave's door and he opens it, immediately eyeing the confections in your hand, his shades nowhere in sight, "Bro, what're those?"

You quirk an eyebrow at him, "Are you referencing that stupid vine thing?"

He snaps his fingers, "Fuck, that would've been so ironic. I mean why do you actually have aj and cookies?"

You frown, looking even more confused, "You told me to bring you apology cookies and apple juice. My mom helped me make them."

He gives you the sweetest look, as if he were honored to be bestowed your meager cookies, "Karkles, sweetheart, I was joking about that. You really made these for me? Is that why you were so late?" you nod and he pulls you into his arms, hugging you tightly, "Thank you..." he mutters into your hair.

A small smile creeps onto your lips, "Of course," you pull away and flash him a genuine smile, "So are you going to invite me inside or what?"

Dave steps aside and you nod your thanks, sitting on the couch. Once he closes the door, he's sitting at your side, already opening the aj and taking a swig, "Alright, so I feel like while Bro and Dirk are out I need to have a romcom movie marathon with you."

Your eyebrows raise in surprise, "All for cookies?"

He frowns, "It was so much more than that. It was just...how much thought you put into it and how sincere you were in making it up to me. You're a true gem, Kitkat."

You smile and roll your eyes, "Shut up and put on Click."

~

You're currently watching the last fifteen minutes Click and you can tell Dave is bored. The two of you are sitting side by side, you leaning against him with his arm draped around your side. He's starting to fall asleep when you speak up, "Hey, Dave?"

He perks up a little, "Huh...?"

You pause a moment, "You said you don't like John, right?"

He shakes his head, "No fucking way, man."

"...Do you think he likes me?"

His eyes snap open and he sits up so he can look you in the eye, "Why?" You shrug sheepishly and he sighs softly, "You want my honest opinion?" You nod, "Fine. I don't see how he couldn't. Look at yourself."

You scoff, rolling your eyes, "There's nothing special about me."

Dave frowns, "You don't really believe that, do you?"

"Of course I do."

He caresses your cheek, forcing you to look at him, "I want you to listen to me and listen well. You are incredible, Karkat. I've never once met someone so devoted and caring and sweet and just fucking beautiful in general. I hate that you look down on yourself. You're beyond amazing, and if John doesn't see that he's an idiot. You're so talented. Your writing is phenomenal, you're brilliant, you can cook, and god damn it that's just the beginning," he takes your hand and places it on his chest, over his heart, "Do you feel that?"

You clutch the fabric of his shirt, touched by his kind words, "You mean your heartbeat?"

He nods, "It's only beating for you, Karkat. It's beating, longing for you to see what I see. It's beating in the hopes that one day you'll come to love yourself as much as I do. So please don't look down on yourself anymore. John will treat you right. I know he will." He smiles softly, brushing the hair out of your face and kissing your forehead gently. The movie ends and the credits roll, just as the tears down your cheeks do. He stands and turns off the television, "I'm really glad you came over, Karkles, and you and John have my blessing."

You nod and stand weakly, walking over to him and hugging him tightly, "...thank you..."

"Of course, Karkat. What are friends for?" he stumbles on the word 'friend' but he hugs back either way. He lets go far sooner than you'd like, and you take that as your cue to leave, "I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?"

You can't force any words out, so you nod again, offer him a small wave and a forced smile as you open the door. As soon as you close the door behind you, silent tears flood down your face. How could you be so cowardly?

You really regret not telling Dave that you feel the same exact way about him.