Chapter 5

Aaron takes me back to his kingdom and then his room through a portal that's colors are a swirl of black, purple, blue and grey. I sigh and step away from Aaron, unhappy with what had just happened at Damien's kingdom. "Aaron?" I ask, close to tears, "What's wrong with me?" I walk in a circle around his over sized room and then plop down on the bed, rumpling the smooth, black velvet throw blanket that is laying on top of it in a slightly hazardous way. My shoulders slumped forwards as if I am trying to hold up a huge weight on my own, "I'm not there for more than a day and I manage to get kicked out after trying to leave and not being able to leave because of that stupid Darcy."

Aaron looks at me and then at the bed. He frowns and struggles internally with what he wants to do, that much is obvious. One side wins eventually and he comes towards the bed to sit beside me, but he makes sure that he isn't too close even though I secretly want him to be really close to me. "Savanna, baby, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you," Aaron tells me. His voice is sharp but kind, commanding but soothing. "There is, on the other hand, something immensely wrong with Damien and his dead but alive girlfriend."

I frown and look up at him, wanting to read his emotions on his face because his voice is deceptive in so many different ways. It is kind then mean and then kind again before returning to mean. It's confusing and actually gives me a minor headache and some whiplash because it changes so often. So much has happened to me in such a short amount of time and I want to stay busy so that I don't need to deal with my conflicting emotions. I clear my throat, put on a false smile and say in a cheerful voice, "So where will I be staying?" I ask as I simultaneously inch away from Aaron, not wanting to get too close since he moved a little closer when speaking.

"I'll get the maids to set up a room for you, just tell me where you want it."

I frown and purse my lips, "What are my options?"

"It doesn't matter but I wouldn't mind having you by me on the top floor. Just so that I can keep you safe," Aaron adds the last part as an after thought so that he doesn't seem mushy but instead he tries to sound all tough and manly. It makes me smile and want to laugh.

"Then I guess I'll take a room on the top floor, for protection," I say in a joking voice to let him know that he wasn't fooling me.

"Good to know, I'll alert the maids right away so that they can prepare your room and have it ready for tonight." Aaron gets up and walks to the door, pausing to give me a kind smile before leaving and closing the door behind him.

I listen closely from the bed, my senses getting better, I suppose,since I can hear him as he walks down the hall and then the stairs and then his footsteps are gone and I can only hear the sounds of the servants moving around outside, doing their jobs and talking in happy voices.

I sigh and fall backwards onto the bed, relaxing into the soft mattress before feeling restless and getting up right after. I pace the room,bored, and clench my hands to try and relieve my anxiety from being locked up. I move to the window, pushing aside the thick blue velvet curtains so that I can see the grounds. Horses are being walked to the back of the castle which is where the barns are, at least that's where I think they are. Servants move around, cleaning the pathways and caring for the gardens, allowing for them to look prestige.

I turn from the window and walk towards the door with a determined stride, pausing with my hand on the gold knob. Something doesn't feel right here, it seems wrong. I frown and look around, nothing is out of the ordinary so why do I have this creepy feeling that something horrible is lurking around here, just under the surface. I check the door but it looks fine and feels fine. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the it or the surrounding area. I step back towards the door, ready to open it when the ground erupts from beneath me and the wooden flooring flies around the room, ripping the curtains and shattering the windows and mirrors. I scream and jump backwards to avoid the large, gaping, hole in the middle of the floor.