Celebrating Insanity

Start from the beginning

The Joker's smile wiped off of his face. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Stacey giggled. "Oh, you know..."

'The little bitch! She just called you a beast! How about we bust open that pretty little lip of hers then she won't be such a beauty anymore hmm?'

The Joker growled. "Shut up!" He suddenly bellowed, making Stacey jump.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that!" Stacey quickly countered.

The Joker snapped out of it, shaking his head. "What? Oh no, no, no, no baby doll. That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at that...Gaston jerk in the movie," The Joker turned his head towards the television. "I've always hated him! I mean he's a downright jerk isn't he?" The Joker scoffed, trying to sound sincere. Then he surprised himself for actually knowing a name of a character in a damn Disney movie. A flash of memory crossed Jack's mind of watching it with Emma all those years ago. She had tears in her eyes at the end, and she was cuddling into him as he handed her a tissue and kissed her the top of her head. The Joker was getting annoyed with all of these sudden frequent Jack memories.

"Oh," Stacey looked at him confused. "Well I didn't really mean it like that. Honest."

The Joker chuckled and stroked her hair. "Sh, sh. I'm sorry darling. Daddy J is just a little stressed right now, what with the Batman still out there being a menace and your father trolling the streets for you. I just worry about my little pet. And to top it off I have an army full of idiots. I'm glad to see that my little bunny is cheering up though. Getting a little feisty are we? Hopefully soon you'll be back to your normal bubbly little self," he smiled at her, displaying his imperfect teeth.

"I'd rather not talk about the Batman or...Jim Gordon anymore thank you," Stacey said with a shudder.

"Of course princess," The Joker said in a doting voice, running a finger gently over her cheek. "Don't worry sweetheart. We'll get those bad, bad men."

Stacey looked intently at him for a moment, studying the creases in his skin underneath his layer of makeup. Her eyes became fixated on his crooked scars protruding out of the sides of his mouth, his red lipstick sloppily smeared over them. Stacey had to ask. "Erm...daddy J? I was just wondering. Why do you wear your um...war paint around the house anyway?"

"One has to be ready for battle at all times sweetie," the Joker snickered quietly then ran his tongue over his ragged Glasgow smile. Stacey had an urge to ask him about those scars of his, but she didn't want to offend him. He already seemed to bark at her over her harmless Beauty and the Beast reference.

"Well if it's to cover up anything, I just wanted to tell you that you don't need it. I think you're quite handsome underneath all that gunk," Stacey smiled weakly. "I mean I hope I appreciated you before. I did right? I mean I should be very grateful to you. You saved my life."

The Joker blinked. Wow that quack Crane's method really did work! He was stunned. But how long could it last? Oh he so hoped it was permanent! He had to stifle another giggle. The poor delirious little Gordon princess. "Well aren't you a doll," The Joker grinned then leaned over and planted a kiss on her cheek.

Stacey let out a melancholy sigh. The Joker looked into her blue eyes and could see that they were watery. He frowned at her. "Still feeling down, huh baby doll?"

"I'm sorry," Stacey sad gloomily. "I still can't get over...you know. Part of me still doesn't believe it. Everything feels so fuzzy. It's like my brain is wiggling inside of my head. I'm worried I suffered permanent brain damage."

The Joker bit his lip. "Darling just don't think about it! You're here with me now," he grabbed her hand and squeezed it, almost a little too hard, causing Stacey to wince.