FTNCT |Chapter 23|

Start from the beginning

"Enough dawdling, I want to win this scrimmage. Dillon look's too smug for my liking." Alex replied.

"Then let's win." I replied with determination.

We started with the ball on our side and I slid back into my position as a midfielder. Since there were so little of us, having a sweeper didn't make any sense. Immediately the tide turned after a few moments and the ball came rolling towards me. I stopped it, controlled my kick and aimed for Shaun who was wide open. He took the ball and raced down the field but was intercepted by Scarlett who took the ball and started running towards me.

Looking at her movements I charged at her but she deked me out. I raced after her trying to get the ball and finally after a while I did. With the burst of adrenaline I took the ball past half the field. I saw Brandon approaching from the other side so I looked for an open space. I could hear Nick yelling "I'm open."

I passed it to him while another defender attacked him and he passed it to me. We continued the zig-zag motion until the net in which I gave it to him to kick since he had a more powerful shot than I did. The ball flew past the goalie and landed swiftly into the net.

"Yes!" I shouted pumping my fist in the air.

I ran to where Nick was celebrating and gave him a high five. "Awesome shot."

"Thanks, but I couldn't have done it without your assistance."

"Your damn right you couldn't."

A loud whistle pierced through the air and glancing at the sidelines I saw that it was Coach Aaron. "All of you come here!"

We all dragged our feet back to where he was standing and huddled around him. "I'm calling it a day. Do some cooling of stretches and you are free to go."

I was about to make my way to Scarlett but Coach Aaron's voice cut me off. "Not you Alana. I need to talk to you right now."

There were a lot of cat calls and 'oooh you're in trouble' but I ignored them all and followed coach to the corner.

"I must say that I'm genuinely impressed with your progress. You actually preformed above average for the drills."

I was shocked. Was this way Coach Aaron had called me, to praise me?

"Thanks coach; I have been receiving lessons from Nick for the past couple of months."

Coach shook his head and smiled. "That boy is something else. Honestly when you in your first tryout I didn't think your skills were acceptable to be on the team but it were Nick who begged me to switch my decisions. He said that he would find you a coach and make you a valuable asset to the team. I didn't believe him, but now is see that I was wrong. Keep up the good work and I'm sure there will be a permanent place for you on this team."

I simply nodded not being able to process all the information that was thrown at me. Nick had helped me get on the team? He hadn't even mentioned it once... but the real question was why had he asked coach to do so when he barely knew me? Puzzled within my thoughts I entered the dressing room and quickly changed into my clothes. It seemed that everyone had already left egger to be home.

When I made my way to the front of the school I noticed that there was a lone figure standing by. As I came closer I realized that it was Nick.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi."

"How come you're still here?" I asked.

"I was waiting for you. It seemed that everyone had already left so I thought that you might need a ride."