Part Three

A couple of days went by before she saw Mike and Cam again. Maja was standing by the ocean, leaning on the railing that separated the street from the sharp drop below. Her hair was unbraided and freshly washed. The wind blew her hair to the left, blocking her view on that side.

Cam stood by Maja for a few minutes, breathing in the intoxicating smell of her hair and some light scent he didn't recognize. He tried to remember everything Mike had told him, but his mind was now a blank. She had on a pretty pink dress that pressed against her impressive figure and her pretty feet were painted pink. Maja pulled her hair around to the right and jumped when she noticed Cam nervously standing by.

"I'm sorry, Maja. I didn't mean to scare you." The start of a smile graced Maja's features, giving him the courage to continue.

"I wanted to apologize again for the way I behaved the other day. It was inexcusable. Is it possible...that we can be friends..."

His face leaned closely towards her, his hair blowing away in the wind. Maja felt transfixed by his intense blue puppy dog eyes. Damn him and his good looks! How is a woman supposed to think with a man like that begging for forgiveness and friendship? She never felt nervous around men. What is it about him that made her knees feel like jelly and her insides feel like mush. Maybe it was the way he looked directly into her eyes, not her breasts or any other part of her body. Yes, she told herself. That's it. He really just wants to be friends.

"I'd like that."

And then, he smiled.

She hadn't seen his full smile until that moment and he was absolutely beautiful. More than ordinarily handsome. She couldn't help but smile back as he held his hand out and she took his hand. They walked along the railing as he explained his upbringing, his lack of experience with other races (black people in particular), and his nervousness around women.

"You get nervous around women? Somehow, I find that hard to believe." I get nervous around you, he thought.

A blush slowly spread from the bottom of his neck to his nose. Maja's eyes widened in surprise and he turned his head towards the ocean breeze to avoid eye contact. It was the sort of thing that made Maja's heart melt. She chuckled a little under her breath and stepped in front of him.

"Camden Wright, you are full of surprises. You are a single, successful, professional, good-looking man who has been featured in multiple magazines as one of the top bachelors of the year. You've even dated supermodels and gorgeous actors. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were shy."

So...Maja found him attractive. But would she be willing to date a white man? He had grilled Ashley about Maja and was discouraged to find that like him, she never dated outside her race. It was almost enough to make him give up. Almost.

Now, as he stared into her mesmerizing eyes he noticed a glimpse of nervousness as her smile wavered and she looked away. It was just the reaction he was looking for.

"Come on, Maja, let's keep walking," Cam said as he wrapped her hand in his and pulled her gently to his side. As he gently held her hand, an intense sensation poured through her. Maja read about such things in romance novels, but it was all fiction to her. Never once did she feel that way just from a man's touch. It was exciting, wonderful and scary at the same time. Realization hit her...she had a crush on Camden Wright! There's no way I'm falling for a playboy, she thought.

She tried to move her hand from his grasp, but he didn't let go. "You said that we are friends, right? I want us to get to know each other better. I know that I have quite the reputation but you can't believe everything you read about in the tabloids. Prime Model and Talent is an agency that our company uses to market our client's products internationally. I'm fluent in Japenese, Italian, French and Spanish so I've been asked to escort models to international functions. I did date a supermodel for three years. I did not cheat on her."