"I don't know about this, Simone..."Rachel began.

"Oh come on, Ray. They don't bite and they know how to have fun!"

 They don't bite and they know how to have fun!"

"They're never up to any good," Rachel muttered.

Simone rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Live a little, Ray! Come on." Rachel let Simone pull her over to the others, her protest dying on her lips.

Eyeing the group, she suddenly felt self-conscious.

She was only wearing a thin pajama set that left her exposed to the cold and the stares of the three brothers in front of her.

She wrapped her arms around her chest tightly and sat down next to Simone.

"Took you forever," The one named Juan said.

There were three of them total.

Jose, and Juan, the two youngest were sitting next to one another. Hector, the oldest of the three, was spread out on the ground, leaning back on his elbows and gazing up at the roof of the cave.

"Look what we got our hands on, ladies." Juan chimed while he produced from his pocket a bag of make-shift cigarettes that looked haphazardly rolled.

"We're gonna have us some fun tonight! "Jose cheered.

"Pass one over here," Hector said, waving his hand. He took one, lit it, and popped it into his mouth. He closed his eyes and blew out a long string of smoke that drifted lazily into the air.

The two other girls that she only knew by name -Mira and Mila- started giggling.

Rachel wondered what Hector had done that had been so funny.

One of them reached forward and plucked a cigarette from the bag. Mila lit it up and brought it to her lips. Rachel saw her inhale deeply and then she was laughing again.

Was there something in those cigarettes that turned girls into blubbering idiots?

"I want one too," Simone piped.

Soon, the smoke from her best friend's cigarette wafted across her face, making her cough from the overpowering aroma of burning plants.

"What about you, Rachel?" Juan asked. He inched toward her and shimmied the bag close to her face. "Take one. It'll make you relax."

Rachel shook her head no and Juan shrugged.

By now all the others were smoking and there was a hazy cloud hanging over them.

"This feels soooooo relaxing," Simone murmured.

"That's the point." Jose replied, with a content sigh.

Juan was getting a little too close to Rachel for it to be comfortable and she knew where all this was headed.

First it was Mira and Hector whispering things to each other near the cave's mouth, their legs dangling over the side into the abyss. Then Jose grabbed Simone by the hand and Rachel was sure they were kissing, though they were deeply shrouded by shadows.