Chapter Twenty-Five pt 2

"Simone..." Rachel said as they walked back into the hospital's waiting room. It was lined in an l-shape with interconnected, white plastic chairs.

There was a colorful blanket, one that belonged to Simone, thrown over one chair.

The nurses' station was empty and the clock over it read 5:45 am.

"You never left."

"I couldn't stay in that room by myself. I just didn't tell you because I knew you all would want to stay with here me and I didn't want to be a bother."

"You are never a bother, honey. We're here for you. Even Juan."

Simone's eyes were glued to the double doors.

"I don't like inconveniencing people. You know that."

Rachel grabbed Simone's hand and squeezed it. It was warm and soft and like always, she smelled like vanilla.

Out of all of them, Simone certainly had the most to lose if no one she knew was among the survivors.

"How do you know they're being moved?"

"The nurse at the station got called away to help direct the survivors. I'm hoping they'll bring them through this way--they have to, right? The simulation rooms are that way."

"Yes," Rachel agreed, patting her on the arm.

"Please," Simone said. "Distract me while they come. I feel like my heart is going to spill out of my chest."

"Um...okay, well, uh...Hector just spent the night in my room."

"What?" Simone shrieked, swinging around to fix Rachel with wide-eyed brown eyes.

Rachel's face reddened.

Simone wrapped her hands around the tops of her shoulders and her face split into a grin.

"You better tell me everything! Did anything happen? Did you two, you know...?" She waggled her eyebrows and bumped Rachel on the shoulder.

Rachel nearly passed out from embarrassment.

"No, Simone, nothing like that! We just...we kissed. That's all."

Simone gasped and the previous worry was wiped from her face and replaced with laughter.

"Well, it was about time! How was it?

"It was..."—How could she even describe it—"Amazing. Like, seriously amazing. I felt like," She flushed. "Like I was flying."

"Look at you, being all romantic and poetic. Was he your first kiss, Ray?"

"No...he—oh my God. Juan was my first kiss, Simone!" Rachel grimaced and her hand flew to her mouth in horror.

"You dirty, dirty girl! Kissing both of the brothers! I wouldn't be surprised if you had them fighting over you."

"Wait a minute, no way. Juan kissed me and it was so not mutual. Plus, I punched him in the face, remember?"

Simone burst into laughter and Rachel followed after her to nestle into the waiting chairs.

Simone sighed and her smile faded a little. "We've come a long way, haven't we, baby girl?"

"I guess so. You know, sometimes I miss home so bad- but then I realize that we are better off here. Back there all we did was barely survive and here- well here we can make a difference."

Her best friend wrapped an arm around her and leaned her head against Rachel's so that her curly, dark hair tickled her cheeks. "How did the world get this messed up?"