Chapter 6: The Town of Haine! The Kiji Tournament!

Start from the beginning

"Did you see the commotion upstairs!"

"What commotion?"

"Apparently there is some cute girl beating the guards' asses!"

The three of them exchange a chuckle and all three of them leave. I stare in shock.

"Could that 'cute girl' they mentioned be...Karvella?"

I glance back across the room and the hooded figure is standing up now. I intake sharply, frightened for my life. They flip off their hood, revealing white hair and tanned skin. They turn towards me with piercing gold eyes and then back to the wall.

"Finally. This must be a gift from the Gods."

I realize that it's a man only by his voice. It's deep and full of relief. He walks over to the older man and whispers something to him. He stops his muttering and reaches his hands upwards, the man lifts him and turns towards the bars.

"You coming, boy?"

I stand, following the man swiftly. He kicks the barred door sharply and with a crack it falls over. I smile, relief overtaking my heart. I head towards the stairs but the man grabs me by the hood of my jacket and pulls me towards another wall. He kicks the wall and it shatters beneath his foot.

"Are you a Caravala?"

He glances at me and frowns before stepping through his self-made hole. He turns swiftly and hits the cuplets on my wrists and they fall to the ground. Rubbing my sore arms, I follow him even though he can be a beast like anyone else can. No matter what he is, he has saved me. The outside is a town. It's buildings are all regal looking and exquisite. I am in astonishment.

The ground is covered in sand. I turn slightly to find that the man is gone. I look left and right for his white hair but I have lost him in the crowd of black hoods in front of me. I stumble through the crowd in my obvious white coat, looking for him and possibly Karvella. I hear a loud commotion coming from an especially royal looking building and a large crowd is gathered around. I head towards it cautiously when a voice comes from overhead.

"Night hour is over. Status: Free."

Everyone around me whips off their black hoods and ties them around their waists. There are many different looking people but most have white hair like the man earlier. I hustle through the crowd who are now conversing with one another. I slip through them, practically unnoticed towards the gathering of people. Pushing my way towards the front, I hear a man grunt and watch him hit the ground through a break in the mass of bodies. Everyone around me cheers with excitement and as I break out into the front of the crowd, I see Karvella kick a man straight in his face, sending him flying across the grand hall's steps. I break through to the very front of the crowd.

"Damn, that girl is a great fighter!"

"I know! I wouldn't want to be those guards!"

I smile, the spirit of the crowd getting me pumped up. None seem concerned with the guards, only the excitement of the fight. Karvella dodges another man and with a cocky grin, punches him straight in the stomach. The crowd cheers and I find my own voice joining theirs. But quickly three men surround Karvella and capture her, a couple voices in the crowd yell about the cowardice of the guards but they don't seem to care.

Karvella kicks forcefully at the men's hands but none let go; they have her firmly in their grasp. I step forwards, trying to activate my arm but it doesn't cooperate with me. I hear a hush sweep across the crowd, a large path forming in the middle. I stare at the two people who come up the path. An elderly man and a fierce-looking woman with identical white cloaks on make their way up the path, serious looks upon their faces.