Chapter 1: Macabre Soul!

F I R S T A R C : B E G I N! [ Opening: Wonderful World by FUNKIST ] 

__________________________

Chapter 1: Macabre Soul!

___ ___ ____ _____ ____ _____ ____

The low screams echo off of the walls, rising and falling as the pursuers get closer and then farther away. Next to me, a cat mews a lonely tune and paws at a half dead mouse. Staring in disgust at it, I question why I ended up here. I peep around the corner and see one of the men with his back towards me. I gasp, slapping my hands over my mouth. Glancing around, I look at the dumpsters. Being swift and quiet, I thrust my small body into the dumpster and close the lid. The disgusting smell of the molding trash makes my nostrils curl in and my stomach soar up into my throat. But I have to stay quiet.

"Yep. He passed through here."

I can hear at least two men outside and I duck lower into the disturbing mess of smelly stuff. A piece of glass slices my leg and I groan.

"Hey, did you hear that?"

Boots clomp closer to me. Tears spring into my eyes and I wait for the light to penetrate the darkness of the space. The sound of aluminum hitting the ground makes me jolt up.

"Shit! Just a damn cat!"

"We better get you wrapped up. That's a deep scratch."

"Don't touch me! I'm fine!"

The two men's voices disappear into the dead of night. I don't take any chances by staying here. I climb out and gently apply pressure to my leg.

"Ouch!"

I fall to the ground, my features scrunching up in pain. The slice is really deep and could be infected easily if the glass stays. I take off my sock and shove it into my mouth. Then, I plunge my fingers into the gash, silently screaming, and dig around for the shard. I mentally swear as tears pour down my face. I feel it and grip it tightly between two fingers and pull outward sharply. The sock drops.

"Agh!"

The blood flows out and I mop it up with the sock carefully. I try to stand again. This time it is easier but it still hurts. I start limping towards the end of the alleyway and slide against the wall. I look around the corner.

Nobody intimidating.

Sneaking off around the corner, I leave a trail of blood behind me. My stomach growls making the situation worse. The lights to the military headquarters, Central, are the brightest in the city and they call to me. But I turn the opposite way, staggering towards home. Starting to limp a little faster, I hear loud chiming in the distance which could not be a good thing. There is no way that i'm going back to that hell hole. The people waiting for me are the only reason I stay here. My parents, older sister and younger brother will be disappointed that I don't have any food to bring back. But they will forgive me like always because I tried. I hurry towards our house, passing few strangers on the street.

The pain in my leg begins to subside the closer I get to my house. But once I turn the corner, a stench that I had never smelled before, enters my nose. It makes me freeze, sending shivers up my spine. It smells metallic but similar to the stench from the trash. I gag, releasing the remaining contents of my stomach out onto the street. After wiping my mouth with my undercoat's sleeve, I continue towards my house more cautiously. My instincts tell me to run away but as soon as I see the broken front door of my house and the trail of red on the street, I take off towards it. Bursting through the front door, it falls to the ground with a subtle crash and then all is quiet.