TWO -- UKULELE

(A/N: Song on the side is what Zayn is singing. If you want, pretend like the voice is Zayn's!)

"I have a surprise for you!" Niall squeals. It's barely six o'clock in the morning on a fucking Saturday, and if Niall wasn't so cute, Liam would be furious.

"So early?" Liam grunts, rubbing his eyes. Harry is asleep in his bed.

"Yeah!" Niall's bright grin fades. "Is it too early? I'm sorry!" His lower lip trembles, and he backs away from the doorstep.

"Wait," Liam calls before he can get too far. "Let me just grab a hoodie."

Niall waits by the door, smiling, bouncing on his heels. Liam has to pull him in for a hug on his way out. "You're so precious," he coos at Niall, chuckling when he blushes.

He follows Niall out to his car, and he outright laughs when he sees that Cupcake is in the backseat.

"Don't laugh," Niall huffs, "He cries whenever he's somewhere without me." Liam reaches back at scratches one of Cupcake's ears as he gets into the car.

"So where are we going?"

"It's a surprise!" Niall giggles. He's so excited that it, by default, makes Liam excited as well. They drive for a little while, Liam's phone playing acoustic music the whole way. Liam dozes off for a few minutes, and when Niall shakes him awake, Liam is blinking sunlight out of his eyes. Niall has parked at the edge of the lip of a cliff facing east, so the sun is rising right into the windshield. Liam lets out a gasp -- Liam has only mentioned that he loves sunrises in passing, and it melts his heart that Niall remembered. He loves Niall more now than he ever has. 

Niall watches Niall's face carefully, unsure if he's happy or unimpressed. "Do you not like it?" he asks quietly.

"Niall, I love it." He turns to face him. Niall is biting his lip, holding back a squeal. Liam wants to kiss him, but doesn't. "Thank you." He pulls him in for a hug, and Niall nuzzles his cheek against Liam's chest. Liam settles for kissing the top of his head.

- - -

Later, Liam is still glowing from Niall's actions that morning. Harry is pissed when he gets back to his house, considering that he woke up and Liam was just gone. 

("I thought you were dead, Liam!"

"Sorry, Harry.")

They're all at Niall's house later, laying on the floor. Zayn is fiddling with Niall's ukulele that he never learned to play, head in Liam's lap. Louis' body is sprawled over Harry's, and Niall's head is resting on Harry's chest, Cupcake on the floor beside him.

Zayn starts to sing softly, "He's my sunshine in the rain, my Tylenol when I'm in pain, let me tell you what he means to me..." His gaze meets Niall's and he winks, making Niall blush. "Like a tall glass of lemonade when it's burning hot on summer days, he's exactly what I need."

Harry sits up a little straighter. It's not often that Zayn sings like this, and though they all know (except Niall) that the lyrics are geared toward Niall, it's still a nice sound. Harry can actually feel himself catching feelings a little. 

"He's soothing like the ocean rushing on the sand, he takes care of me, baby. He helps me be a better man. He's so beautiful, sometimes I stop to close my eyes. He's exactly what I need."

Louis shifts so that his chin is resting on Harry's knee, and Harry nods when he looks down at him. They're both thinking the same thing about Zayn, and when Harry looks over at Liam, he looks just as enamored as they do. And Niall, the poor boy, is the human equivalent of the heart eyes emoji.

"He's my smile when I'm feeling blue, he's my good night's sleep when the day is through, yeah. Let me tell you what he means to me. Kinda like the feeling after your first kiss, except that every day he makes me feel like this. He's exactly what I need..."

Zayn plays the chorus again, and when he's finished and looks around the room, he feels the oddest urge to blush. They all have the same fond expression on their faces. No one moves until Niall lets out a squeak and scrambles into Zayn's lap.

"Why didn't you ever play before?" he whines, dropping his head on Zayn's shirt. "You're amazing!" His voice is muffled by Zayn's shirt, making him laugh.

"Glad you liked it, cutie," he says sheepishly. He hadn't meant to cause a scene, but he can't lie and say that he'd disliked it. 

"I think you just ruined my life," Liam adds, and Zayn laughs. Niall giggles, too, face still hidden in Zayn's shirt.

"Why are you hiding?" Zayn asks, running his fingers through Niall's hair.

"Not hiding. You smell good," Niall states and Zayn snorts. He leans his cheek against Zayn's chest, and when he looks over he sees that Liam is staring at him. "What?"

"Nothing," Liam says, smiling a little. He's overwhelmed with fondness again, but not just for Niall – for all of them. 

"Zayn, you should perform that somewhere," Harry says softly. When Zayn looks at him, he's smiling a little, too, and Zayn feels butterflies.

"Yeah!" Niall gasps, sitting upright so quickly that he almost falls out of Zayn's lap. He would've if Zayn hadn't caught him at the last second. "Yeah, perform it! I'll make a t-shirt and I'll be your groupie!" He's giggling at the idea. "I'll wear a flower crown and Liam can piggyback me everywhere and I'll scream your name the loudest at your shows, I swear!"

Harry groans again dropping his head against the wooden floor with a crash. "Damn it, Niall!"

"What?" he pouts. "I would."

"This is too much," Liam mumbles, sounding somewhat horrified.

"Liam is so right," Louis sighs, running a hand over his face.

"I dunno what they're talking about," Niall shrugs at Zayn, "but I'd be the best groupie ever, promise. But you can't forget about me when you get famous, okay?" Zayn puts a hand to Niall's cheek, thumb tracing his lower lip.

"I'd never forget you," he says, so softly, and the sound sends shivers down Niall's spine.