"Will You Take A Walk With Me?"

hi everyone! (^i got some new makeup & felt cute so thought i'd share a lil car selfie)

i hope you enjoy this small narrative poem that i whipped up for ya. i've really been trying to stop neglecting this book and to update it more! hopefully you can understand how busy i've been!

also ahhh shawny turns 19 tomorrow where is my chill??

***

I was young when you first brought me here.

My hair was in tight, rounded curls, my eyes sparkling with pure innocence and bliss as you took my hand.

You had politely asked to take a walk with me, the two of us early on in the journey that we could only begin to imagine at that moment. You told me that there, beneath the trees, the soft sound of water rushing in the springs beneath the paved rock complimenting the chirping birds around us, that for a short time, there with me, life seemed almost perfect.

You told me you were in love with me, right there, over the water, under the trees.

We had both grown the next time we walked down that rocky path.

Your hands had become rough and calloused, but still seemed like they were exactly the place where mine were supposed to be.

My curls were now looser, my strength and dignity significantly increased. I was uncertain of a lot, but I was certain of you, and certain of the two of us.

You had politely asked to take a walk with me, and you dropped down on one knee, right there, over the water, under the trees.

The light, winter sky was bright against our squinting eyes, split open by the tall branches of trees, stripped of their once colorful leaves, which were just beginning to freeze to the dirt they now sat on.

I knew that I had quite a life ahead of me, and I had my person beside me, with his deep brown eyes and calloused fingers steadying my stumbles.

You had told me with fear and regret, right there, over the water and under the trees, that you had to leave.

You would be back soon, you promised. You had demanding responsibilities that couldn't wait.

But I could.

And I did.

The next time I walked through that musky wooded park, you were at last back at my side, your heavy coat draped over my shoulders as you held my dainty hand in yours. All I could think was that you were worth the wait, you were worth my time, and you always would be.

You looked at me with a knowing grin, flashing your pearly white teeth as your curious eyes peered into mine, placing your hand over my stomach where there was life growing inside of me, promising hope of something beautiful, wonderful.

I told you right there I was ready to be a family, over the water, under the trees.

The next time you politely asked to take a walk with me, we had two juvenile giggles blending with the sound of the water and the birds. You balanced a third on your shoulders, holding her tiny hands with yours, careful not to let her fall as she leaned over your head.

Now proud, loving parents of three, we couldn't have been more fulfilled as we strolled over the water, and under the trees.

The seasons passed, days became longer, nights were sleepless. Our children grew into young adults, and while I had suffered from great pain and loss, I still had everything I would ever need.

I had you. I knew that even though things were far from easy, I had a growing comfort and peace that blossomed every time you took my hand, every time you wrapped your arms tightly around me and planted a kiss on my forehead, every time you whispered that you loved me in the dark space of our bedroom.

Life brought us to a new house in an unfamiliar city, and we took things as they came. Your job that was your whole world became your family's world, too. You were always faithful to me. You never disrespected, underestimated, or lied to me.

You were always mine.

Years had gone and come around, and we somehow found ourselves back home, taking a walk-through of our very first house we ever bought together. We exchanged smiles as we reminisced on all the remarkable memories that started at that very front door with the chipped paint and broken door knob.

We shared a kiss by the window, and then you closed your eyes, cupping my chin in your calloused palm as you blinked twice and asked me politely, "will you take a walk with me?"

My curls were back, but they now showcased more grey than color, our skin was beginning to lose its color, too. My hand was small and frail, but you still took it in yours, and walked beside me over the water, under the trees.

***

cheeeese i know, but i can't help it! i'm a total cheeseball.