Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Dinner that night was almost festive. I got to meet the young man who was the front-runner for Cleo's hand. As we were brought into the dining room, a young man maybe a year or two older than Cleo was announced into the room. "The heir to the duchy of Anliana, Makeal Dalla."

All of the men at the table, except the emperor, stood at his entrance. He turned to look at each of us and when he saw me there with full weapons on he blanched.

Cleo went to him and took his hand. She then guided him over to me and Lizell. "Makeal, may I have the pleasure of introducing the Grand Duke Drake Daemon and his Consort Lizell Stanner?"

The young man looked at me and then glanced at the rank pins at my throat. I could hear him swallow as he tried to get a hold on his courage. "It is an honor to meet you, your grace," he said, extending his hand.

"I am very pleased to meet you as well, Makeal."

"Uncle Drake, quit scaring the poor man to death," Daniel said from across the room.

As Cleo led the young man away, I could hear him whisper, "Why does he have weapons?"

"He is PG and my father's most trusted man. Only the emperor may take his weapons from him." Cleo smiled as the young man pulled her seat out for her.

I nodded my approval as she sat and he pushed her chair in.

Dinner was fun. It took Makeal more than an hour to quit watching me out of the corner of his eye.

Lizell leaned in at one point and whispered into my ear, "Do you suspect him of something?"

"I suspect everyone."

"Do you suspect me of something?"

"Yes," I said, as I looked into her eyes.

"What do you suspect me of?"

"Attempted seduction of a Praetorian Guard," I said, smiling.

"Attempted?", she asked, with an arched eyebrow.

"Have you succeeded yet, tonight?"

"Not yet," she said, with a smile.

"Then you should try harder."

As she sat back and arched her eyebrow at me, Little Drake came up and climbed in her lap. He then promptly curled up in her arms and fell asleep.

The look on Lizell's face as she held the little boy said it all to me.

It had to be soon.