vierunddreißig: wildest dreams

Start from the beginning

+

I took a sip of my champagne as I stood in one corner of the house I was in. We were currently in the afterparty of the charity event. The event itself was pretty uneventful (lol) but I got to see Thomas nearly jumping off the stage as a joke - so that was fun.

I finished the last few sips of the champagne and set it down on a nearby table before walking away from the large room and outside to the balcony. It was way too stuffy in the room and I needed some fresh air. Berlin was chilly at night and it definitely woke me up.

I leaned against the balcony and looked out at the view. The city lights lit up the sky and I could hear the honking of cars and the low hum of the city. I heard the door I just came out of open and close again meaning someone was out here with me.

I turned around to see Marco standing a few feet behind me with his hands in his pockets. "What are you doing out here?" I asked him softly. He moved closer towards me until he was directly in front of me. "Mia, we need to talk about it sooner or later."

I shook my head and turned back towards the view, keeping my eyes fixed on the horizon. I couldn't bring myself to look at him or even talk to him.

"Mia, you can't keep running away every time we try to talk."

"You've told me everything I need to know," I said, finally regaining the courage to talk again. "What else do you want to talk about, Marco?"

He exhaled softly and took his hands out of his pocket, running a hand through his hair exasperatedly. "I never got to apologize to your face. I want to do this right, Mia. Will you just listen to me?"

I bit my lip and looked up at his face and into his eyes before nodding slowly.

"I was a drunk mess that night. I never meant to hurt you like I did and I know that being drunk isn't an excuse to cheat on you with some other girl. We've only been really dating for 3 months and I know it might not seem like a lot, but it's enough for me to know and understand how much you mean to me." he said apologetically.

He reached out to take my hand in his - and this time, I let him take it. My blue eyes met with his hazel green ones and I felt myself falling even deeper. I could feel the tears well up in my eyes and I was trying my best to hold them in.

I let go of his hand and dropped it back to my side. I took a deep breath and wiped away a tear that rolled down my cheek, "I'm sorry," I whispered to him. "But...I can't do this. At least not right now."

"What?" he choked out, "What are you saying, Mia? I'll change, Mia. Tell me how I should be, I-"

I shook my head. "I'm heading to France tomorrow for the next stage of the tour and you have football to focus on. Please don't make it harder for me than it already is," I sniffled, biting my lip to stifle the sobs. "Reus, I love you. A lot. And it's killing me to let go. But it's come to a point where I love you so much that it hurts and we've gotta face the reality of it all again."

The look on his face made me feel like someone was tearing my heart right out my chest and the tears were now an endless stream cascading down my cheeks.

Before I could back out, I reached up and pressed my lips to his. Our salty tears mingled in with the kiss and it felt like time stood still until I let go of him.

"Goodbye, Marco."

I walked away from him, away from the balcony and away from it all. I walked through the room, careful not to attract any attention to myself. I made it out of the building where there was thankfully little to no paparazzi at all.

The car was waiting up front for me and I quickly got inside and slammed the door shut. The car got into motion and drove back to the hotel.

I pressed my hand to my lips to muffle the sobs that were racking through my body as the cold, harsh reality came crushing down on me.

I let go of him and I still loved him.

//

this chapter was intense guys

it literally took about 2 weeks to write

i kept writing it over and over and hating it so i had to restart everything from the beginning

but anyway this chapter made me really emotional :( and it might be a bit corny for you guys but yha ahaha sorry and this is probably the longest chapter i ever wrote

so this might as well be the last chapter of settle down besides the epilogue i'm going to write :( i cant believe this story is ending

anyway vote and comment telling me what you thought!

happy reading lovelies!xx