Ch. 5 - More and More Complicated

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long. This is the first weekend I've had open in weeks. This chapter might be a little short but I promise that once the band season is over I'll be updating more often. I hope that you're enjoying the series so far. Thank you all so much for your patience and support. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Crying in the pouring rain is pretty much the most cliche movie moment I've seen in my life. I never thought it would happen to me, however. I felt so stupid just sitting there on the curb, sobbing and shaking with snot dribbling from my nose. But it did feel better to get it all out after letting all of my fear and anger just kind of fester. After a few minutes, my pulse slowed and I stood shakily. My bare feet were numb and my pajamas were soaked. I climbed the stairs back up to my apartment, dripping and sniffling pitifully. My door was still unlocked, and I opened it with a heavy sigh. 

I froze. 

A man stood in the entryway of my kitchen. We stared at each other, silently. He had a sandwich in his hands, and a bit of salami hanging out of his mouth. His eyes, dark as the night sky, were wide. 

"Mark?" I whispered. Our clothes dripped almost in sync, the droplets of water pattering on the floor.

He quickly swallowed. "Don't scream," he said, his voice just as deep as I remembered. "Please." 

I grabbed the baseball bat that I'd left by the couch. "You've got two seconds to explain what the hell you're doing in my apartment," I hissed, keeping my voice low so I wouldn't wake my neighbors. 

Mark grimaced. "Two seconds isn't nearly long enough." 

"Well then, give me a summary. And it better be a damn good one, or I'm going to have you arrested for breaking and entering." I raised the bat threateningly. 

"I didn't break in, though," Mark said. "I just came through the window." He jabbed his thumb over his shoulder. 

"The window was locked."

"I got it open. I'm not stupid." Mark's mouth pressed into a thin line. "You're a lot more hostile in real life."

I gave him a kind of sarcastic shrug. "Well, I've been a lot more alert since I found out that I was being freaking watched. Now what the hell are you doing here?"

"Plans have changed," Mark said quickly. "I have the upper hand, but if we don't act fast, we won't be able to stop them."

"By 'them', who do you mean?" 

"The SCP Foundation. They contain and document a vast number of strange objects and creatures." Mark paused. "Maybe you'd like to sit down?"

I glanced down at the couch, then back up at Mark. I lowered the bat. "I'm alright. Keep going." 

"Well, you see ,the problem with the foundation is that they've got too much power. They have the ability to dominate the world or destroy it if need be." Mark took another bite of his sandwich and chewed thoughtfully. "Now, I made it seem like I was going to just come right out and leak their database online. But I wasn't. Not the entire thing, at least. I have every file - even the most high level security ones - downloaded onto a personal file. Our job is to get that file to someone who has the power to keep the SCP Foundation in check. Does that make sense?"

"I guess," I said slowly. "But I still don't understand why I'm involved."

"Neither do I," Mark admitted. 

I stopped. "Wait...you don't know?"

"No." 

"You didn't think to use your weird hacker skills to see if they had a file on me?"