The hopelessness that was filling the room was starting to get to Sam. Castiel's despair was like an infectious disease, spreading pain and ripping the joy from the world.

Sam felt as if his knees were going to give out from underneath him. He was just human after all, humans are meant to break and lose control, but angels? Angels weren't made like that yet, Castiel, the all mighty and powerful creature that he was, now looked as if he could shatter into a million pieces.

Sam had honestly never seen Cas look so lost and broken. Not even Lucifer's madness had hurt Cas as much as this was hurting him now.

Cas looked utterly defeated and destroy and honestly, that scared the shit out of Sam. Angels were supposed to be guardians and protectors of man, but who would save these holy creatures when they shattered and broke?

For Cas, his savior was Dean.

Dean was Castiel's anchor, always there to pull Cas back from that edge of despair, but now Dean was the cause of Castiel's anguish. Bringing Dean back at any cost would be the only way to break the fractures in Castiel's heart.

"That would explain why there is no news on angel radio..." Cas finally mumbled and broke the tense silence. His eyes were downcast, not really seeing anything in front of him. His hands were clenched together too tightly in his lap as trying and failing to stop them from twitching with anxiety. "Heaven's ranks don't have Dean and they don't know where he is right now. They must still think that we have him..."

Gabriel let out a huff of irritation. He began to pace the room, his distress palpable in the air around him. The archangel's step was brisk while his mind raced for a solution to their latest problem.

Sam's eyes followed Gabriel as he moved, watching his hunched shoulders and furrowed brow as fell deep into though. Sam could imagine Gabriel's large golden wings quivering nervously, hidden on some level of perception far too weak for human eyes, as Gabriel fretted about how to get Dean back. It was like Gabriel was trying to force a solution to appear where there wasn't one. After a minute, Gabriel made a cherry lollypop appear in his fingers. Quickly he popped the treat into his mouth and rolled it between his teeth. Sam could hear the loud crunching as Gabriel bit into it, using the candy as a sort of stress reliever.

Sam ran his fingers through his hair, thinking back and trying to remember if he had ever come across any old spells that could help. So far, his mind was coming up blank. Hell was no picnic, Sam would know. Getting in was easy, but getting out? Well... that was a nightmare in itself and damn near impossible to wake up from.

Abruptly, Gabriel turned on his heel and looked up at Sam with a mix of irritation and exasperation. He pulled the lollypop from his mouth, which looked severely abused by Gabriel's teeth, and pouted as he said, "I swear you and your brother are some of the dumbest, most unlucky mother fucker's on the whole damn planet."

Gabriel let out a heavy sigh before pulling a hand down his face. He groaned loudly, his shoulders slouching even further before he tromped over to the sofa and threw himself down beside Cas.

"Yeah, well our lives have pretty much always felt like that." Sam grumbled, agreeing with Gabriel's all too obvious statement. Sam shifted his weight from foot to foot before leaning back against a wooden table. He lifted his hand and ran it through his long dark hair.

Sam tugged at the sensitive hairs slightly, letting small rivulets of pain shoot into his head in the hopes of clearing his mind a bit. He needed to get rid of this despair driven fog that was threating to take over his every thought. When had hunting become this stressful? What happened to a simple salt and burn that lead to an occasional dislocated shoulder here, or a broken wrist there? When had hunting turning into such a dramatic life and death ordeal? Every time he turned around Sam was seeing someone he loved disappear or die. Sam was so ready to be free of this lifestyle, but at this point, he was staring to believe that the only real way out was to death.