Chasing Cars (30)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter thirty

phone numbers

"Have you considered getting a car?" I said, doing my best imitation of Clay's mother as I turned the key in the lock and walked into my flat, "You should wear more makeup. Did you choose that dress?" It was all she talked about during the dinner. I threw my bag on the couch and did the same with my coat, "She could say nice things."

I muttered to myself and made my way to the kitchen for a glass of water. I washed a couple of dishes from that morning's breakfast.

"Don't even try to scare me Thomas, I'm not in the mood."

"Damn!" He muttered, "How did you know I was here?"

"The door wasn't locked, and I left it locked this morning." I grabbed a kitchen towel and dried my hands.

"What's wrong with your dress? I like it." I walked past him, "Why are you angry?"

"It's Clay's mother, she's a...good woman." I managed to say, "Ugh, I hate her! But, anyway, just forget it. What are you doing here?" We walked into my room and I grabbed clean clothes.

"Oh, what am I doing here?"

"Yep?" I looked at myself in the mirror.

"Erm...are you tired?" I walked into the bathroom.

"Nope, why?" I said and waited for an answer.

"There's, a party tonight at a club with the cast, they all arrived today, they'll be there, obviously, eheheee, and um, wouldyoucomewithme?" I walked out of the bathroom, trying to decipher the words he had just mumbled, "Would you, come with, me?" He repeated.

"To a party?" He nodded, "I can't remember the last time we were at a party at the same time." I said smiling.

"Is that a yes?"

"Of course it's a yes!" I think my last party was when we were in college but it's blurry. I got ready and we headed to the club.

Everyone was there, Tom went for a chat with Chris H. and I stayed in the bar with Scarlett, Robert called her some time later and I stayed alone for a while, alone with a pint.

Random people would come and say hi, everyone was part of the film production and most of them knew me. A red haired girl came and sat next to me offering her hand.

"Hi, I'm Claire." We shook hands, "Are you having fun?" She was shouting, but it still was hard to listen to her since the music was too loud.

"Yes, this is my first party in ages." I said, I know that I was only sitting there but, I was having fun watching people dancing. I distinguished Tom and Chris at the other side of the room and they smiled in perfect coordination.

"Really? I thought Tom invited you to parties."

"Well, we hadn't seen each other in a long time, this is the first party he has invited me." She nodded.

"Long distance relationships are tough..."

"No, we're not a dating, we're just friends." I said.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. It's just everyone talks about how close you two are and he's such a sweet guy." I looked at him, he was still looking at us, "I'm in the hair and makeup department and we've chatted before, well, almost every day, he's a really nice guy."

"Yes, he is. He's, a nice guy." Tom was mouthing something at me and I tried to understand, but I couldn't, something about the girl perhaps.

"So you know him pretty well?" Claire asked.

"I guess so." I smiled and sipped my pint.

"Can I ask you a question?" I nodded, "Do you know if he's seeing someone?" I chuckled to hide my surprise, I wouldn't go asking everyone close to him only to know if he's dating someone.

"Oh my God, well, I... I don't know anything about that." So awkward, "Um, well I guess you should go and ask him. You may be lucky, he's been looking at you since the very moment you sat here. Just, turn around, but don't be obvious." I used my pint to hide my mouth as I told her that and yes, she turned and Tom smiled, "You should go." I said.

"Do you think this is a good idea?"

"Yeah! Why not?" I winked and after a few questions about how did her hair look, she walked through the multitude and greeted Tom who smiled widely at her and offered her a drink. I turned around in my seat and faced the bartender thinking about the stupid thing I had just done, "A gin and tonic, please." I turned to see Claire and Tom, they were talking and she rubbed his arm and I surprised myself rolling my eyes, "Two, two gin and tonic."

Two gin and tonic, and two shots later, Tom tapped me on the shoulder, he caught me biting the slice of lime and I grimaced when the sour liquid ran all over my mouth.

"I see that you're having fun." He said.

"Oh, yeah. Lots of fun." I smiled.

Lots of fun watching you talk with that woman.

He grabbed the napkin I had in my hand and chuckled.

"Who gave you their number?"

"The bartender." Tom looked at him. The guy was in fact quite nice and good looking, "Um, what about you? Did Claire give you her number?" I inquired, "I saw the way you were staring at her when she was sitting here."

"I wasn't staring at her."

"You should ask her out, you know, you're single."

"Do you think I should ask her out?" I shrugged, "I mean, this is the first time we've talked about something not related to Loki's makeup, I barely know her." I shrugged again and he raised an eyebrow.

"And? You two look great together. What if she's the one? I remember you told me that when you broke up with Diana, you said that she wasn't the one, and that you wanted to date the right girl. What if Claire's the one?"

"You sure?"

"Why do you ask for my permission?" It sounded so harsh, but why shoud I care, right? He shook his head and stared at the napkin in his hands.

"Okay. I'll do it." He stood up and I saw him walking towards Claire and he said something to her.

"That was fast." I muttered to myself when I saw him walking towards me again.

"Done. We're going out this Friday." He smiled.

"Great!" I said smiling, but I was utterly angry with myself, "Um. Tom?" He looked at me and felt his eyes penetrating my soul, "I...have to go now."

"But, I'm taking you home after the party."

"I know, I know but, I can't stay any longer. I must go now."

"Okay, I'll tell everyone we're leaving and-"

"Sorry for interrupting like this." Claire said and we both smiled at her, "Tom, this is my number, you know, just in case." She smiled and Tom grabbed the napkin she was handing him.

"Oh, okay." He looked at me, "I'll call you, I have to go now-"

"No, no, I'll take a cab. It's okay." I said, "You go with Claire." The smile I gave them, hurt. But it was my fault! I told her to go with him and I told him to go with her!

I got the sensation that I managed to get rid of in the last few months, that bloody sensation: jealousy. That bloody mixture of anger, envy and sadness. It was making its return from the ashes.