Chasing Cars (9)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter nine

changes

[October 2009]

Okay, I guess this is where the real story begins. I was sitting in one of the museum benches, thinking. Staring at the charm that Tom gave me some time ago. He was in Isles of Scilly, filming Archipielago, we had been doing the same, talking by the phone, but not as long as we would have liked to, he had to get up early by mornings to start filming. I had just broken up with Miles, now I had to change my dentist too, I didn't want to see him again.

As usual, I hadn't told Tom anything about my break up. Why would I? I mean, he was busy and telling him my sorrows wouldn't help, I only told him the most important things. I stood up ready to go home, but Lila -one of the new personal of the museum and my intern- called me making me turn around.

"Yep?" I asked.

"Are you leaving already? Thought we were going to finish the ancient Rome thing." We had to prepare a new exhibition.

"Yeah, I know. But, it's Halloween...everyone is leaving early today, so, you can go home." I smiled at her.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, or we can go for a coffee, if you want, I invite you." We had become friends. I could say she was my only friend, I know, it's sad. We went for that coffee, it was around five in the afternoon and we were at the coffee shop, when my phone began to ring, "Oh gosh." I said smiling, "Sorry, I have to get this." It was Tom. Sliding my finger on the screen to get a call was the most amazing thing for me, I just had gotten my first iPhone.

"Hello Mr. Hiddleston, how's your Halloween going?"

"Just, lying in bed." I chuckled and shook my head, "And, how are you? You're not busy, are you? I can call you later." He said.

"No, I'm not busy. I'm having a coffee with a friend."

"Mmm." He growled.

"What?"

"You're making many friends now that I'm away, aren't you? You're going to replace me." He said that joking, but it kind of hurt.

"Of course not! Her name is Lila, she's my intern and friend." Lila smiled and sipped her coffee, "Do you want to say hi?" I put the phone on Lila's ear but I could hear Tom saying:

"Okay. Hi Lila!"

"Hi, stranger!" She said and I giggled. I put the phone on my ear again.

"I thought she was a guy, I'm the only male best friend that you can have, is that clear?"

"Whatever you say, Thomas. So, when are you back?"

"Um, I'm not quite sure yet. The film release will be next year, but we have almost completed all the scenes, probably I'll be back for... New Year's Eve, I guess."

"That's cool, and are you having fun? There are some pictures of you and the cast on the internet, can you tell me more about the plot? Pleaseee?" I whined and heard him laughing on the other end of the line.

"No, I can't give you details, sorry. On a more serious chat, the 4th of November your birthday is close, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

"Are you going to throw a party?"

"No? I'm gonna stay at home, watching television and eating crisps, ice cream and chocolate, you know, the usual." I'm not the kind of person who tell their birthday to everyone, not even Lila knows about it.

"Well, sounds good. God, Oaks...I wish I could be there for your birthday." I smiled.

"Don't worry, it's fine." I said, "But you can give me a present when you're back, I can wait." I said jokingly.

"Definitely, I will. Oh, how, how's your mum, I got your email, I'm so sorry Nic, was it serious? You didn't give me details." I bit my lip. My mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer when she turned forty-five, now she's in her late fifty an the disease is in the last stages.

"I didn't give you details because I didn't want to worry you, but she's alright now. She fell off the bed d hit her head, I stayed with her and the caregiver for a month, I'll go visit her after my birthday and all his stuff from work, something related to ancient Rome, you could help."

"Ehehehee, well yes. I'm glad that your mum is okay, I'll go visit her too. I must go now, I already interrupted your coffee time, sorry, um...say bye to Layla."

"Lila." I corrected him between chuckles.

"Sorry, sorry, Lila...okay, I'll call you soon, bye."

"Goodbye."

"Don't say goodbye, I don't like it." I frowned, "It makes me think that I'm not gonna see you again, just say bye."

"Isn't the same? Bye and goodbye?"

"Maybe, but I don't like goodbyes."

"Okay, bye then. You're so weird." He chuckled, "Bye, see you soon."

"Yep, see you soon Oaks." I smiled before ending the call. I was there smilig and staring at the phone on the table, completely indifferent to Lila's presence, I had forgotten that she was there.

"Is that guy your boyfriend?" She asked me and I looked up at her.

"What? No, he's my best friend. We know each other since we were eight and we went together at college."

"Oh, sorry. I thought you two were a couple." I shook my head and sipped my coffee.

"No, we're just friends. What made you think that?" I asked and Lila shrugged.

"The way you talk to him, how long your conversation was, sorry, but I'm not gonna lie, you looked like a teenager on the phone. You fancy him!" I only smiled, "I bet you two would make a cute couple."

"No, we can't."

"Why?"

"He's my best friend." She raised an eyebrow.

"He can be your best friend, but it doesn't change the way you might feel about him." Damn.

❀❃❀❃❀

Thank you so much for staying with me! I'm so very happy. Leave your thoughts and hit that tiny star to show the author your support, thank you!

Love, Liz.