Chasing Cars (1)

❀❃❀❃❀

chapter one

phone call

All this time without seeing each other was kind of a nightmare. We used to talk by the phone, but it wasn't the same. We agreed that the only contact we'd have, would be the phone calls and it'd be fun to surprise ourselves with the puberty. I remember the last phone call I had with him, actually, it was last night.

"I can't believe we'll finally study together. Well, kind of." Tom said on the phone, I was still shocked with his new voice, he used to speak like a chipmunk, and hearing him speaking like a man, was, odd.

"I know. Tom?"

"Mmm?"

"Gosh, I'm so nervous."

"Nervous or excited?" He said.

"I don't know, a little bit of both?" I heard him chuckling, "It's been a long, long time. What if I don't recognise you? Your hair is still blond?" I twiddled a lock of my hair with my fingers.

"Yeah, still blond and curly. It's a mess." I snorted.

"Well, I liked your hair when we were kids."

"What about yours? Is your hair still brown and straight, or did you already dye it?"

"I haven't dyed it! I wanted to, but you know how mum is. She didn't let me." I sighed, "And, now it's kind of wavy, I don't know. Mine is a total mess." There was a pause, "Tom?"

"I'm here...trying to picture you." I smiled, "You said you'll study History of Art at Pembroke, the last time we talked, were you serious?"

"I was serious."

"Mmmm."

"Yeah, problem?" He chuckled, "I can't believe you want to be an actor."

"I can't believe you want to be a museum director."

"Shut up."

"You're gonna destroy those relics instead restoring them or whatever you do."

"Shut up."

"Just kidding, you'll do it amazing."

"And you'll be a great actor, Tom. I can't wait to see your first film."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'll be the first to get the ticket." He chuckled softly.

"And I'm, dying, to go to the museum and ask you thousands of questions about the exhibitions."

"I loved the sarcasm in that."

"Ha-ha. Okay, we have to meet somewhere, but where? I know there's a grass field next to the dining hall."

"Yeah. So, we meet there?"

"Sure, I'll call you to let you know that I'm already there."

"Okay." I ran my fingers through my hair and the bracelet that Tom gave me jingled, "You won't believe me this."