Chapter 19: The Meeting

Start from the beginning

She walked out the house and locked it behind her. There was a brief moment in which she looked from left to right. Then she started to walk. The direction she took was the left. She did this on purpose to see Landon's house. As she passed it, she took care to make it look like she wasn't looking at it when indeed she was. The curtains were open, so they were already awake. But she couldn't see anyone else in the house. She started walking at a faster pace.

This walk would help her get to know the neighborhood. As she started walking faster, she saw two guys running next to each other. Lauren was too concentrated on her surroundings to focus on the two runners. She walked forever and as long as she remembered which path to take, she kept walking. But at a certain point, she would forget where she was coming from. Luckily this point was not very far from the point she last remembered. She walked back to that point and she saw the runners again.

Runners, she thought. They must really be into fitness to be running this early in the morning. But then again, I'm here walking.

As the blocks passed, Lauren kept seeing the runners over and over again. They were always a few blocks away from her and they remained oblivious to the fact that she was there.

At one point, the two runners passed right in front of her and she recognized one of them. One of them is Landon, she thought in disbelief.

She ran after them and she stood in a spot where she was sure that they were going to cross. When they did, she could see them clearly and she had been right. One of the runners was Landon and the other young man next to Landon was Bryan. Uncle and nephew, she thought. That's pretty cool. He can do so much. I don't know why he still doesn't understand how special he is.

Lauren couldn't help but look at the two runners passing by. She sat on a bench that was in the same path as Landon and Bryan. What she didn't know was that Landon would stop and sit at the same bench and Bryan would go straight home.

Five minutes after Lauren had sat down on the bench, Landon sat down on the bench. Lauren heard someone's breathing and she turned immediately to see Landon sitting there.

"Hey," she started, nervously.

Landon looked immediately in the direction of her voice. "Lauren?" he asked.

"Yep. It's me again."

Landon chuckled. "How are you?"

"Better. Couldn't be better."

Lauren looked closely at his face. Landon was adorable. She could see the dimples in his cheeks when he smiled. Every time he smiled, his dimples showed and that completely melted her heart away. Landon turned his head towards her and stopped. It was as if he was contemplating if he was going to do the right thing or not.

Lauren saw this and she asked, "What are you thinking about?"

Landon cleared his throat and said, "I wish I could see you."

Lauren felt a knot in her throat. She couldn't speak because she knew that her emotions would betray her and that would not be a good thing.

Landon moved closer and asked her, "Do you mind if I try something?"

"I have to know what that something is."

Landon again moved closer until his knee was touching Lauren's knee. Then he reached for her face with his hands. "I just want to see you." he whispered.

Lauren understood then what he was talking about. "You may." she said to him.

Landon took this as a good sign and reached out to her. He found her shoulders first and then he moved his hands up to find her face. "Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable."