Chapter Eight - Part 9

Once they were seated in his car he asked if she wouldn't mind taking a ride with him before dinner, he wanted to show her something important. Curiosity surged through her thoughts as they rode to this so called important place. Sticking to safe topics of conversation they found themselves laughing when comparing songs on the radio to the songs from their younger days. Every song that happens to play on the radio the lyrics were all about sex, which created sexual tension between the two of them. He decided to lower the radio and change the conversation to topics about the changes he noticed in the area until they finally arrived and excitement began to flow through his veins he was dying to share this moment with her.

He turned in to a dirt road and Marisol's curiosity was getting the best of her. "I hope you are not planning to kill me and then dump my body back here?"

He turned to look at her with mischievous eyes and his Colgate smile. "Trust me I wouldn't waste such beauty but it's a thought I'll keep in mind in case you don't behave."

"Ha, ha - a man with jokes. Where are we?" She asked as tried to look past the darkness.

"Patience my dear, you are about to see it all." He parked his car and then came around to her side and guided her out onto the dirt and gravel ground. "I guess I should have given you a dress code for footwear, I'm sorry. I hope your heels don't get scuffed or more importantly you don't twist your ankle."

"Don't kid yourself I'm a lot tougher than I look." She replied with her sassy facial expression that sent electric shocks right to his groin area hoping she can't see her effect on him. He guided her a few feet and then released her arm. "Wait here, I'm going to turn on the lights. I want you to close your eyes and promise me not to open them until I say. This is really important to me and I want to share this moment with you. So, say you promise?"

"Yes, I promise hurry I can't handle the anticipation any longer. I'm lousy at suspense." Closing her eyes she was wondering what in the world is he up to and the flutters to her stomach was causing her more anxiety. It made her think of that show with Howie Mandell as the host where they surprise you and all these mob dancers come out and you stand there feeling mortified.

"Okay, open your eyes." She slowly peeled her fingers one at a time from her face as her eyes slowly opened and the surprise in front of her made her whole body freeze. There were spot lights introducing the sign sitting above the wooden archway as if it was on a stage for the world to see, she stared at it in awe as goose bumps ran up and down her arms. It was magical seeing the words spelled out right in front of her very own eyes "Cisco's Ranch of Miracles" then focusing past the sign following the mysterious dirt path leading you to a feeling of hope as beautiful horses were grazing in the land wondering who were the intruders interrupting their solitude of darkness her eyes began to fill with pools of tears. It was simply beautiful no words could describe what her eyes were seeing nor the emotions she was feeling. This was their dream they shared as teenagers to own and work their own ranch of horses but this exceeded anything she envisioned. Her thoughts brought her back in time.

Sitting side by side on a fallen tree log as their feet swished back and forth in the town's Mineral Springs she could still feel the coolness of the water. It was where they shared their dreams of owning a horse ranch together which had to include goats of course. When they were young they always had a blast around his aunt's goats, being chased and nipped at, it brought on so many laughs and memories. It was at the Springs where Marco opened up about his feelings of Cisco's condition and how he wanted to make a difference to kids that were born with disabilities like him. He wanted to help his brother feel accomplished and be a part of something big. What better way to have a horse ranch where he and his wife (and when he said the word "wife" he paused and gave Marisol the sexy look insinuating that'll be her one day) could really change people's lives. "Just picture it we can teach children to ride and feel free and normal. We can assign Cisco a job so he would feel part of the experience." His words showered her heart with hope. Plus Marisol knew so much about horses being raised on her grandfather's tobacco plantation and farm with 15 horses and a dozen of chickens running around; it just all made sense. That was her passion back then and she loved Marco so the future plan was a great one. But now years later the plan became a reality for the exception of Marisol being a part of it. The feeling of being left out of the equation caused depression to seize her heart. She tried to shake off the unwanted reaction; this was a moment of accomplishment for him. This wasn't about her and she needed to divert her thoughts to him and make it all about him.